Student re-evaluates feminism

Anika Ranginani, Managing Editor

After a really difficult AP Physics test on April 22, James O’Carter ‘15 complimented Mary Jones ‘15 for being the smartest person in her class. Jones immediately broke down and started to cry.

“I didn’t know what was happening,” O’Carter said. “I know girls are always really emotional and cry a lot, but I still didn’t know how to deal with it.”

One of only two girls in her class, Jones was also the valedictorian of the grade, captain of the Scholastic Bowl team, president of the math team and played the tuba. Jones also identifies herself as a feminist.

“This was the first time someone has told me I’m intelligent,” she said. “Now that women are basically equal to men, I’m not sure what the point of feminism is. It’s really confusing.”

At most of their feminist meetings, Jones said, the girls come together to rant about how much they hate men and the patriarchy.

“I think it’s really important for women to get all that individuality out of their system in private,” faculty advisor Karen Williams said. “These girls will never get a date to prom if they talk about being a feminist outside of the club.”

After her recent breakdown, Jones realized her feminism had become debilitating. Other students, both male and female, have stopped taking her seriously and began feeling uncomfortable with her constant need for equality. Williams has agreed to spend extra time with Jones to allow her to finally stop pressuring others for equality.

“I’m going to miss hating men,” Jones said. “At this point, though, I just really need a prom date.”