Anne Marie Leader: Class of ‘86

Anne+Marie+Leader+86+
Anne Marie Leader ’86

Originally pursuing a journalism career at University of Minnesota, Anne Marie Leader ‘86 pivoted at age 26 and started teaching. Another twist in her professional story occurred when Leader suddenly took over for an LT teacher who needed to go on an early maternity leave. The following semester she ended up with a full time teaching position at LT. Reflecting on her time as a student to now, there are some notable differences between the two. 

“There was a cool option when [I was] in high school: you had the decision of whether you wanted to start first period or second.” Leader said. “There was no such thing as a study hall.” 

During Leader’s years, everything counted with only one chance, it all stuck. There were no options for formative vs summative grades. Nightly homework was also expected for each class, Leader said. Although she feels retakes should be limited, grading is evolving as a result of student’s lives outside being vastly different, Leader said. 

“You guys today have so many more stressors on you, adult stressors.” Leader said, “We were more protected.”  

As far as the social aspect in the ‘80s, the main events of the years were the dances. There was a Homecoming dance, a King of Hearts turnabout dance, and then prom. Prom was sacred because it was only for seniors, Leader said. In order to attend the dances, having a date was mandatory.

“It was very traditional, except for the turnabout and that was why it was a big deal,” Leader said. “And then the big deal was, if I invited you as a girl, does the girl pay for the dinner?” 

When picturing outfits of the ‘80s, it was all about the preppy look, featuring lots of color and patterns, Leader said. Sweatpants at school would have been unheard of. Dress code was less of an issue because the style of clothing was not revealing. There were turtlenecks and monogram sweaters. The closest modern day style example would be Vineyard Vines. For the first time, labels became important; for example, what brand of jeans you had on mattered. The significance of labels is still around in today’s fashion. 

“It was weird because I remember I was asking my mom if I could get these kinds of jeans and she was like ‘Those are like a million dollars’,” Leader said. “You wanted that label on your jeans, you wanted that Izod alligator here, so that really started it.” 

Another difference between school now and school in the ‘80s is that students would utilize their lockers and carry their books between classes, and backpacks were not worn, Leader said. Socially, everyone talked to each other in class. At home, the main way to connect with friends was to call each other’s house phones.

“My name is Anne Marie, and my dad used to tease people when they called the house, if they said ‘can I talk to Anne please?’” Leader said. “He would say ‘Well I’m sorry, I do not have anyone here by that name, but I do have an Anne Marie.’’’