Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Why we boycott

In a world of constant polarization, division, and imbalances of power, there is always a cause to fight for. Social media has allowed information to travel at faster rates than ever seen before, and with an endless vat of information at our fingertips, it’s easy to drown in a rabbit hole of humanity’s downfalls. 

It’s especially frustrating when we are able to see international conflict in real time without having the power to step in. Boycotting has always been a method for activism, and it is vital that we as a community understand the impact it can have when done right.

The idea that your money can’t possibly affect a situation is only true when everyone believes it. If 10,000 customers all decided that their support of a bad business can’t possibly make a difference, then the company still has 10,000 customers that are contributing. If 8,000 of those people decided that they, as an individual, can make a difference by boycotting the company, then suddenly the business has lost 8,000 customers at once. This sends an alarmingly clear message to the company that they will be held responsible for their actions, and making a change in their business practices could be brought to the table in order to get profits back up. 

In the capitalist society we’re in, money speaks volumes. The easiest way to show solidarity for a cause is to put your money where your mouth is. If the item isn’t a necessity, consider keeping your money for other things. Research the brands that you’ve been supporting before you make the decision to continue your support. Google that new skincare brand you’ve found to ensure that it’s cruelty free. Put effort into finding brands that are climate conscious if that’s an issue you’re passionate about. Substitute one restaurant for another, one big coffee shop for another small cafe. Changes that may seem insignificant to you make a huge difference in the long run for the causes you want to advocate for.

Another important aspect of boycotting to consider is the fact that we all deserve to be proud of where our money is going. When the financial decisions you make support the causes you care about, you can feel confident in your spending and be proud of the impact that you’re having. Not everything needs to be boiled down to whether or not you are largely contributing to the success or failure of a business. You as an individual supporting the ideal society you want to be living in is of significant importance as well. 

The best way to boycott is whatever way is realistic for you. Not everyone has the financial freedom to avoid every bad company they come across, especially if those companies encompass most of the cheap options of the product they sell. Find parts of your lifestyle that you can realistically adjust to support the cause you want to fight for. You may not be able to do everything at once, but even small changes can make a world of difference.