Movie Review: McFarland USA

Anika Ranginani, Managing Editor

At a time when immigration is one of the most controversial topics in politics, “McFarland USA” brings back a 1987 true story of redemption to remind people that being “American” is about more than having U.S. citizenship.

When Coach Jim White (Kevin Costner) arrives in McFarland, Calif., he enters a world that seems to be a microcosm of Mexico, with Mexican flags flying from cars, chickens as a common household pet and a background score full of Mexican musical influences, such as Mariachi folk music. He eventually overcomes cultural barriers to gain the trust of his students and their parents as he initiates a cross country team that goes on to win the state championship. The direct cultural clash between the White family and their surrounding community elevates the film beyond just another cliché, Disney-inspired film.

Director Niki Caro does a remarkable job highlighting the struggle that some of the families in one of the poorest areas in America go through. In the film, the community revolves around almond-picking, and the impoverished workers are paid by the field rather than by the hour. When White spends a day in the fields to better understand his students, he tells them it was the hardest day’s work he had done in his entire life. Instead of viewing the majority Mexican community as outsiders, Caro illustrates how their hard work embodies the American spirit. At the final cross country meet, the runners and the community that comes to support them sing the national anthem, further supporting the idea of McFarland as a truly American community.

Bottom Line: “McFarland USA” may be predictable, but the movie finds the American spirit in an immigrant community at a time when they are often considered foreigners.