The darkness over LT

Michael Grace, Multi-Media Editor

For the past six years, one day every year, the North Campus Fieldhouse is consumed by a wave of patriotic LT students, sharing not only the common desire for victory, but also the simple attire of one color: Black.

The blackout game at LT has been a storied tradition ever since its roots broke ground in 2009. Although it is simply one game, each year has proved to capture defining moments from “The Dunk” of 2009 to “The Chant” of 2011. From an outsider’s perspective these may only serve as simple words that hang for the walls of the fieldhouse on banners above the student section, but to others they portray a window of memory to an unforgettable event during their LT career. This legacy will soon carry on as the Lions take on Hinsdale Central on Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the NC Fieldhouse.

“My favorite Blackout has to be when Dan LaLonde ‘09 dunked at the end of the OPRF game,” avid Weirdo Brendan Swinehart ’15 said. “It sums up my memories of LT Basketball and dreaming of one day being that kid to dunk in a game at that stage.”

As the seventh year of this tradition is right around the corner, with the theme being “The Black Sea”, it seems that this game, in particular, will be one for the books. Not only will fans have a chance to win a car at halftime through a half court shot raffle contest, but this year’s opponent is one who is notorious for being public enemy number one of Lyons Township.

During the last two years, the rivalry between LT and Hinsdale Central has grown to new heights, igniting record attendances at sporting events, with often heated disputes to follow. To raise the stakes even higher, this year’s game looks to be one that will decide the West Suburban Conference champion in front of an expected sold out crowd, after Hinsdale Central was forced to turn down spectators during the most recent matchup on Jan. 9 at Hinsdale.

“No matter if it’s the Blackout or not, it’s always a huge game when you’re playing Central,” star player Jaquan Phipps ’15 said. “We want revenge and we’re going to give it our all to make our school proud and get that win.”

With both the LT Weirdos and Hinsdale Central student section looking to be in full force, this year’s game could very well be a record attendance at the NC Fieldhouse since its opening in 1952.

“The rivalry is definitely the best in the state,” Swinehart said. “To win this game will be one of the greatest highlights in high school.”