New associate principal strengthens LT community

Sarah Smith brings enthusiasm and experience to NC
Sarah+Smith%2C+in+front+of+her+office+on+Sept.+19%2C+is+the+new+associate+principal+at+NC+%28Knott%2FLION%29.+
Sarah Smith, in front of her office on Sept. 19, is the new associate principal at NC (Knott/LION).

Sarah Smith, NC’s new associate principal, always knew she wanted to do something in education. Despite a few family members being educators and having an everlasting love for school, it was her shadowing experience at Lemont High School in 1999 that solidified her passion for the field, Smith said. 

“I was given an opportunity to work alongside an English teacher all day and just pop in and help support her students as best I could,” Smith said. “I just loved it. I loved working with and helping students.” 

Prior to working at LT, Smith worked as a division chair for English, music, and English Language Learners at Carl Sandburg High School (2014-2021) and was an associate principal for instruction at Andrew High School (2021-2023). During her time at Carl Sandburg, she helped create the Literacy Lab. This room encouraged collaboration and was a place where struggling students could get support. Smith said it was a calm inclusive environment where students wanted to come and hang out and knew that they belonged.

“The literacy lab was the heart of the school,” Smith said. “In addition to being a strong support for students, we did silly things like spooky stories in October, hosted therapy dogs, yoga before finals, and organized a college essay boot camp.” 

Smith officially got the position as associate principal last November, Smith said. The role includes being responsive to facility needs, creating the master schedule, and making sure that students and teachers are in the most conducive space to fit their learning needs. 

Smith demonstrated the ability to connect students and staff, was well rounded, and had a lot of former leadership experience, all qualities that were considered when hiring somebody for the job, principal Jennifer Tyrrell said.

“I know this from experience: she’s able to develop really great relationships with people,” Tyrrell said. “I knew that she would be able to facilitate all of the expectations of that role in our school community and also amplify the position.”

She brings so much care and compassion to the school, director of human resources Ed Piotrowski said. With LT having such a strong community, students and families will support Smith as well.

“I think [Smith] strengthens the LT community by bringing all of her experiences,” Piotrowski said. 

After going through the application and interview process Smith finally chose LT because of its strong history and focus on equity and belonging, Smith said. She is excited to create change, build relationships within the school, and be seen as a support on campus for both students and staff. While working at LT, Smith hopes to make students’ learning environment as comfortable as possible. She wants students to feel safe, and comfortable, and enjoy being at school.

“I am really excited to be a part of this community,” Smith said. “I have felt nothing but support and a warm welcome since I started.”