Sound the trumpets

Sarah Grier, Pulse Editor

French teacher Sam Robinson has been playing the trumpet since the mere age of 12 and once receiving his first full-time teaching job 14 years ago at LT, he has found an excellent community of musically involved teachers. These teachers are brought together each year for Brownstock, an annual in-school concert featuring a teacher band and student acts.

“I love getting to hangout with the other teachers because I don’t get to see them a lot,” Robinson said. “Brownstock is a great time for us all to get together, talk and have fun.”

As a child, Robinson started by learning the trumpet through classical music. Through it, he would play in marching bands, wind ensembles, big bands, quartets and quintets. After he gained the fundamental skills he transitioned to upbeat, lively jazz music.

“I have always loved playing the jazz trumpet,” he said. “It has been a way for me to express myself artistically. It’s been an outlet, something to do after work, something to do to relieve stress and it’s always been another part of me that I’ve enjoyed pursuing.”

After attending several jam sessions in the local area, Robinson became affiliated with two local bands. The “Four and Afters” play once a month in Bucktown. His other band, “Jazz Workshop” plays every Tuesday in Lincoln Square in Chicago.

Robinson has worked on incorporating an outside interest he feels so passionately about into his French classroom lessons.

“Music is about improvisation and sometimes in class I don’t know where the lesson will go,” he said. “You try and plan it out, but sometimes the students take it in a different direction, sometimes it’s fun to go in that direction.”

In addition, Robinson plays for his NC classes once or twice a year, a highlight that all students enjoy in the dynamic class, Natalie Metsch ‘18 said.

“[Robinson] often talks about playing trumpet in jazz clubs,” Metch said. “It was pretty awesome to hear him finally play in person and share his passion with us.”