LTCC Auto Club

Student mechanics learn how to maintain vehicles

Katie Palermo, Reporter

The Lyons Township Car Care Auto Club is the community’s go-to place for inexpensive car service. From simple oil changes to brake jobs, LTCC has it covered. Club sponsor Jordan Engelhardt is the individual to contact for more information on services.

The club meets every Wednesday after school in room 176 from 3 to 5:30 p.m. The 41 members of Auto Club can finish projects that were started in one of their automotive classes with the help of other members. Instead of having a single period to learn and work on automobiles, the club has two more hours to work.

“Auto Club has helped me greatly in expanding my knowledge [of cars],” club president Alex Gonzalez ‘16 said. “Every week there is a new lesson being taught.”

Experience is not necessary to be a part of Auto Club, because “everyone needs to start from somewhere,” Engelhardt said. Working on cars is not the only thing that auto club does. They also compete in various competitions, go on field trips and race their drag car.

Auto Club has helped students spark an interest in careers dealing with automobiles.

“LTCC has improved my knowledge and led me to the career path [at McPherson College] I am currently following,” club vice president Chase Mulvenna ‘16 said.

Auto Club participation usually leads to students deciding to follow a career in the automotive industry. Automotive technicians and engineers are the most popular paths.

“There’s something about being surrounded by fellow [auto club] classmates that all share a similar passion that motivates one to become interested in a career in automotive technology,” Engelhardt said.