Parting column

Parting+column

Sydney Kaehler, Opinions Editor

Well, I guess this is it. Technically, there’s still 10 days until I graduate, but this is my last column, as you could probably assume. I’ve rewritten this multiple times already, because I wasn’t really sure what to say. Political? Witty? Nostalgic? Do people even read this?

I’ve struggled with what to say on all of my columns, this one is just tougher because I feel like I need to leave you all off with some sage advice or something. I’m not—I don’t even know what I’m wearing tomorrow. All I know is that it’s impossible to sum up the incredible (but also scary, at times useless, hectic, exciting and unforgettable) moments I had during my four years at LT into a single article! I know that I’ve grown a lot (mentally and 7 inches) since freshman year when I actually wore a sleeveless turtleneck to school, but it all makes you the person you are today. Which is someone who I am pretty proud of.

I don’t know if I’d be that person if it wasn’t for laughing my way through everything and for my two years spent on this publication. My original pitch to be the Assistant Opinions Editor hasn’t changed- I say whatever is on my mind. And now that my time as the Opinions Editor is coming to a close, I have done just that. I learned that not everyone will like what you write or have to say, and you have to be okay with it. Laugh it off. Throughout the year, I would write my columns or articles and I couldn’t decide if I should say what’s actually on my mind or if I should just write what people want to hear. I’m so happy that I chose the first option every time. Although I got ripped on by most of the conservative boys in my grade afterwards, nothing beat the English teachers I didn’t even have approaching me in hallway saying how much they liked my article.

But actually, writing for the Opinions section for two years has been a pleasure. The LION has opened so many doors for me. It’s why I’m not afraid to speak my mind anymore. It gave me amazing role models and a college major, journalism, that I’m so excited to pursue. It gave me the best friends in the world that I know I will have for a very long time. It gave me a niche. It’s something I will miss immensely next year. I will miss LT in general a lot next year, even the

To go back to what I was saying about moments, not all of them will be perfect. The amount of times where it felt like the end of the world are just irrelevant memories at this point. In the end, no one really cares about you as much as you think they do. Sorry if that was an ego hit. All I’m saying is to say whatever is on your mind and don’t look back. Savor every moment, because that’s it. Looking back, I can’t believe it’s over. So thank you to the Lion Newspaper, to the four random English teachers that read my column every issue, to my truest friends, and of course, to LT. I know you all will miss me and the White Castle t-shirt that’s featured in my mugshot. Thanks for everything.