LT girls softball teams prepare for games

Baker family donates $2 million for new field
%28Klaczynski%2FLION%29
(Klaczynski/LION)

The softball team’s season started on March 15. The softball teams include a freshman team, a JV team, and a varsity team. Each with a large variety of upcoming games. 

“Our team culture is very positive and encouraging which allowed for the varsity players to develop strong bonds with their teammates at the start of the season,” varsity softball head coach Megan Pyles said. “Trust in teammates is something that helps build winning teams, so it’s nice to see how close the team is both on and off the field.” 

It’s not just the sweat and effort that define this team—it’s the spirit of friendship that happens every practice. In the heat of training, bonds are made that help them during each game. These young women aren’t just teammates; they’re sisters-in-arms, supporting each other through every defeat and setback.

On days they don’t have games, they split time between hitting on tees in the cages and different fielding drills. Conditioning practices are typically before practice on Friday, Rachel Hitzeman ‘25 said. 

However, it’s not just change with the team and practices that’s happening. The team has received a $2 million dollar donation from the Baker family to build a new field. It will most likely be built in a couple years. 

“The Baker family donated a generous amount of money to provide us with a state of the art field,” Pyles said. “We will forever be grateful for this gift to our school and community. We’re super excited to see what the future holds.”

Aside from the varsity players, who are putting in effort to be the best, JV has made quite the jump in their record. They are currently 7-2, but predictions for the end of the season are 20-9, Hitzeman said. All levels are pushing themselves this season, not just to win but to be the best they can be as athletes and individuals.

“We are super excited that conference play started this week and want to make sure that we are fully equipped with any tools we need to win those games,” Pyles said. “Hinsdale Central is always a game we love to compete in, but we’d also love to get a win on our Senior Day [April 27] as well as in our Pink Out game [May 11]. Although neither are conference games, we would love to get a big win in front of our home crowd.”

As the season unfolds, one thing is clear, the softball teams are excited to compete. Regional semi-finals will take place on May 21.