Girls gymnastics team swings through the season

Athletes bond, improve on last years skills
Ava+Hepokoski+%E2%80%9825%2C+and+Elle+Rockrohr+%E2%80%9824+do+their+signature+handshake+before+competing+at+their+dual+meet+against+Hinsdale+Central+on+Jan.+17+in+the+NC+gymnastics+gym+%28Ruppert%2FLION%29.+
Ava Hepokoski ‘25, and Elle Rockrohr ‘24 do their signature handshake before competing at their dual meet against Hinsdale Central on Jan. 17 in the NC gymnastics gym (Ruppert/LION).

The girl’s gymnastics team has been leaping, swinging, and flipping their way through their season. The girls all improved in the off-season, and have continued to work hard and get better as this season has progressed. 

“All of the girls came into this season with new, harder skills, which have helped us improve as a team,” head coach Brittany Milovanovic said. “We also have a new varsity athlete, Brynn Krantz ‘27, who has been really helpful in filling a spot on the team for our graduated seniors.”

All levels of the team work hard and are very focused. They are constantly working on their routines to be as consistent as possible, and also aim to gain new skills, Milovanovic said. 

“Our team has been getting more competitive every year,” she said. 

The returning varsity athletes, particularly the seniors, have stepped up not only as athletes but as leaders, Elle Rockrohr ‘24 said.

“The seniors last year were super positive and energetic,” Rockrohr said. “We had to take over that role this year. I think we have done a good job, and we have a really fun team dynamic.”

The team is always very high energy at meets and practice, and always do their team cheer, pep talk, and handshakes before competing, Rockrohr said. 

“We are always cheering super loud for each other, especially at meets,” she said. “We really try to support each other, and are always hugging and high-fiving too.”

Beyond just being on the team together, the girls have formed lifelong friendships, Rockrohr said.

“We are all so close with each other, we all mesh so well and have so much fun,” she said. “Every practice just feels like I’m getting to go and hang out with my best friends, and I will miss that so much next year.”

Varsity athlete Dahlia Highland ‘25 shares the same love for the program, and how high-energy and exciting things are, she said.

“The atmosphere on this team is so fun,” shesaid. “Being greeted by a tight hug no matter if you stuck your landing or fell five times is a feeling that makes everything worthwhile.”

The varsity team’s highest score of the season was a 138.65 at the dual meet against Hinsdale Central. They competed in five dual meets. They won three, and lost two of them. The JV and JV2 levels had an undefeated season.

All three levels of the team competed in their conference meet on Jan. 27. After that, the varsity athletes continued their season by winning Regionals on Jan. 31. Their performance at regionals impact if they qualify for sectionals as a team, or as individuals, and that impacts their performance at state. 

“The bigger meets were definitely nerve-wracking,” Highland said. “But it help[ed] to remind ourselves that we worked hard for our skills and routines.” 

After making it to sectionals last year, the team hopes to do it again, she said.

“It is so much fun to compete together at a big and important meet like sectionals, and cheer each other on,” she said.