Boys soccer places 2nd in State

Varsity squad beats national-ranked team to compete at State, makes school history
Team huddles around coach as he gives a pep talk before the start of the game (James/LION).

Leading up to State, the boy’s varsity soccer team had a successful season. Going into the season, each player created individual goals, head varsity coach Paul Labbato said. Many of these goals included winning the two tournaments they were a part of. 

First was the Body Armor tournament which they won, and second, the Silverbrick tournament which ended in a loss. However, their most difficult goal was to make it to State, and they achieved it. 

“We [were able to] fix the mistakes and problems we were having,” Labbato said. “We eventually settled into the group of guys that were good in their positions and that ultimately led to being really successful in the playoffs.”

The super-sectional game was on Oct. 31 against Stagg. LT needed to win this in order to have a spot at State. It was a very close game, ending in a penalty kick shootout. The regulation game ended in a tie of 2-2 after Owen Suda ‘24 scored a header in the last moments, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Stagg scored first before Mason Santos ‘24 equalized sending the match into penalties. After a save by goalie Seth Ahlm ‘24, LT won the shoot-out 8-7, leaving the final score to be 4-3, sending LT to the semifinals against Naperville North.

“[Taking the penalty kick] was a lot of pressure, especially with the wind moving my ball about 10 times,” team captain Collin Sullivan ‘24 said. “I was isolated but did not get in my own head. We were practicing penalty kicks every day leading up to the playoffs, so we were definitely prepared.”

The State semifinal game was on Nov. 3 against Naperville North, who were ranked seventh in the nation at that time. LT was projected to lose, but upset them, winning 1-0 and securing the team a spot in the State final game. 

“[Beating Naperville North] was electric, realizing how far we have come and then upsetting a great team was awesome,” Sullivan said. “Knowing that [we] made it to the last possible game of the season was a huge relief and a point of accomplishment.”

When Labbato won the 300th game of his career in the State semifinal game, he knew that meant the team would be competing in the State championship game.  

“I knew exactly what needed to happen, and I can’t believe we were able to do it,” Labbato said. “It is a pretty cool thing we were able to [accomplish]. I was just so excited that our team was able to put together win after win after win in the playoffs. It’s very difficult to do and I certainly was just excited and proud they were able to do it.”

The following day on Nov. 4, LT competed against New Trier in the State finals at Hoffman Estates High School. After putting up a fight, LT fell short and lost the game 1-3. Although the team ended up losing the final game, many still considered it an accomplishment for them to make it that far. This is only the second time in LT history that the boy’s varsity team has made it to the State final. 

“Our goal was to make it into the last week of the season, which we did,” Sullivan said. “I have been wanting and hoping to be able to compete at State since my sophomore year. It’s crazy to think about how close we have been to getting there these past years. I am blessed to have had that opportunity my senior year and I could not be more thankful to be able to leave a statement with LT.”

View Comments (1)