Athlete of the Issue: Abby Markworth

Abby+Markworth+24+serves+against+Hinsdale+Central+at+game+on+Sept.+12+%28Garrity%2FLION%29.+
Abby Markworth ’24 serves against Hinsdale Central at game on Sept. 12 (Garrity/LION).

Abby Markworth ‘24 has always known that volleyball would be a big part of her life. Growing up around the sport–her mom having played at Valparaiso University and her two siblings involved as well–helped create the perfect atmosphere for her talents to thrive, as she is now looking forward to competition at the collegiate level, committed to play DI volleyball at George Washington University. 

“[Volleyball] has always been with me,” she said. “It’s always been a way for me to connect with people. It’s always been in my life, and the people that I meet in the volleyball gym are the people I will be with for the rest of my life. We all love the same sport, we all have the same goals, and it’s a way to escape, as well.”

The setter has had many different experiences across the country with the sport, beginning playing in first grade, having moved to Atlanta for fourth and fifth grade, returning to Illinois, and being on a travel team since seventh grade. She is now a vital part in running the offense on the girls varsity volleyball team, starting on the varsity level since freshman year. 

“It was super cool because I never really knew anyone as a freshman, but they were all friends with my sister because she was two years older than me, so I still had a connection to everyone,” she said. “I got to compete with girls on the team for more than just two years, and now as an upperclassman, it’s cool having that experience.”        

Markworth has been fortunate to have a tight relationship with Varsity Head Coach Jill Bober, having worked steadily with her throughout her years on the team, she said.

“I’ve been working with the same coach for the past four years which has been super fun, creating a relationship with her,” she said. “Every year I get more and more comfortable. Having the confidence, knowing my coach trusts me and what I’m doing, and being an upperclassman puts me in the role of a leader on the team.”

On her social media, Markworth verbally announced her commitment to George Washington University on July 16 after a long recruitment process, she said. 

“A big thing for me was having a good relationship with the coach, and having a strong culture on the team,” she said. “Because of LT, I loved having a good relationship with my coach here, and I saw that in the George Washington coach. I’m looking forward to being part of the community and I’m excited to be with the girls and compete at a high level. Everything’s faster and it’s a harder game, but I’m excited to keep competing and improving my game the best I can.”

Her relationship with the team at LT is like a family, she said. She’s been competing with some of the girls for a larger part of her life however, through experience with her travel volleyball clubs like First Alliance Volleyball, and Adversity Volleyball. Maggie Kachmarik ‘24 has played with Markworth competitively since they were 11.

I love the energy, leadership, and consistency that Abby brings to any team,” she said. “She is fiery, loud, determined, and works so hard to better the ball for the next player. One thing I will never forget about playing with Abby is her physical strength–she can, and always has been able to since we were young, set the ball all the way across the entire court because of her physical strength and ability to do so. It’s completely mesmerizing, and when we were younger it was so unexpected, but now it’s something that I think truly sets her apart, and is still quite mesmerizing.”

With over 2,000 career assists under her belt, Markworth has had a strong positive impact on the LTVB program, Kachmarik said. She has broken school records, and has demonstrated strong leadership on the team since her first day. 

I know Abby has all the right pieces to not only be a great collegiate volleyball player, but also a great leader,” she said. “I hope her teammates and coaches at GW see and appreciate all the amazing things she has to offer their program besides just her volleyball skills. She is a vital piece to this program and we look forward to seeing all the great things she will accomplish throughout the rest of this season and beyond.”