Volleyball excels, ranks in state

Younger players show potential, help team acheive #2 ranking in Illinois

The+girls+team+huddles+up+mid-match+at+a+home+quad+meet.+From+left+to+right%3A+Adriana+Vassek+22%2C+Tijana+Kostic+22%2C+Abby+Markworth+24%2C+Maya+Rabah+23%2C+Kiley+Mahoney+24+%28Grefenstette%2FLION%29.+

The girls team huddles up mid-match at a home quad meet. From left to right: Adriana Vassek ’22, Tijana Kostic ’22, Abby Markworth ’24, Maya Rabah ’23, Kiley Mahoney ’24 (Grefenstette/LION).

Aidan Wirtz, Sports Editor

With only two losses so far, the girls volleyball team looks to continue their hot streak further into the season. They’ve rolled over teams such as Lincoln-Way East, Fenwick, and New Trier, all in two sets to none. Adriana Vassek ‘22 is the team captain and very enthusiastic about the squad this year.

“As a team our defense has improved a lot from the past season,” Vassek said. “We focus a lot of our practices on defense and serve receive and it’s paid off in games.”

This year’s varsity team also includes two sophomores, both who have helped the team succeed, Vassek said. Abby Markworth ‘24- the team’s setter is one of them. While Markworth is comfortable being on the team now, it was new territory initially, Markworth said. 

“It was definitely scary walking into a gym of 17 and 18 year olds when I was just 14 and 15,” Markworth said. “But I quickly became friends with the upperclassmen, and they always have an answer to my questions.”

The team currently has more than ten wins to just two losses, and is ranked top ten in the state. Markworth and Vassek, as well as returning junior Kamryn Lee-Caracci ‘23, attribute a lot of their success and team chemistry to the coaches, Lee-Caracci said.

“Our coaches are the building blocks of the team’s connectivity,” Lee-Caracci said. “Everyone is treated with respect, not only by each other, but by our coaches as well. They make sure everyone is happy with where they stand.”

Head volleyball coach, Jill Bober, helps the team keep great energy, Lee-Caracci said. Bober and the team look to keep defeating their opponents in the future.

“The varsity team has created some exciting goals for conference and post-season play,” Bober said. “A conference championship, a long playoff run; we are preparing to play into November.”

Each player is a major contributor to the team’s success so far. The team’s competitiveness is a huge strength, Bober said.

“This is a team that has an aggressive, competitive spirit,” Bober said. “They will beat up on each other, but will hug it out before the next play.”

Lee-Caracci, Vassek, and Markworth are all lovers of the sport, Lee-Caracci said. Vassek has been on the team since her freshman year and Markworth is a sophomore now. Bober believes the team can accomplish anything if they put their minds to it.

“Vassek’s growth as an athlete is tremendous, and Kam would play every position on the court, (even the official), if she could,” Bober said. “Abby controls the tempo on the court. Her leadership as a sophomore is a uniting force on the squad.”

The team is set to have a total of 19 matches and meets before regionals, scheduled to start Oct. 27. Their next game will be on Oct. 12. at Glenbard West.