AOTM: Lily Courier ’20

Courier works on her shooting skills at practice (Gremer/LION).

Liz Gremer, Reporter

During the 2016 Wheaton North Invitational, the LT girls’ varsity basketball team was down with seconds to spare. Following a last-minute play, Lily Courier ‘20 was set up to shoot the three-point shot that would tie the game. Despite her nerves, Courier made the shot that sent LT into overtime.  The team later won the game. It was the moment that Courier felt like she had made an impact on the team.

“I felt like ‘I can do this’,” Courier said. “I felt like I belonged on the team.”

Since she was a kid, Courier has been involved in sports, such as swimming and volleyball. After playing YMCA basketball as a second grader, Courier’s love for the game grew. Basketball has had her heart since she first began to play club, Courier said.

“I only really liked basketball,” Courier said. “I just stuck with that.”

Since her first year in the program, Courier stood out on the courts, and former varsity coach Paul Krick brought her up to the varsity team. As a freshman, Courier was timid, but demonstrated the knowledge and ability to play at the varsity level, new head coach Meghan Hutchens said.

“It doesn’t often occur where a freshman plays on the varsity level,” Hutchens said. “In Lily’s case, it was appropriate for her skill level and basketball IQ. Lily as a freshman was shy, but had a keen understanding of the game which made her stand out right away.”

Following her freshman season, Courier has stepped up as a leader and motivator on the team. Courier leads by example at practice and motivates her fellow teammates, Lindsay Hahn ‘21.

“[Courier] has not only made basketball very enjoyable, but also has taught me how to become a great teammate,” Hahn said. “She is always talking and motivating everyone, not only in practice, but also in games. [Last year], she made sure I felt welcomed, and as if I had already been on the team before.”

New members to the varsity team have also noticed Courier’s hard work and welcoming nature, Evelyn Purcell ‘20 said.

“Lily teaches us how to be confident and work harder than the other team,” Purcell said. “Even on our days off, Lily is always asking people to go shoot and scrimmage which really encourages us all to work as hard as she does.”

This upcoming season, the varsity team is composed of many new girls, and the team’s goal is to develop a positive team culture and maintain competitiveness, Hutchens said. In regards to Courier, Hutchens is looking forward to see how she has developed over the summer and leads the team as the most seasoned varsity player.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Lily grow into the dominant player I know she can be,” Hutchens said. “She has devoted many hours to playing travel basketball, going to LT summer and fall basketball opportunities, and getting in to the gym to work on her offensive game.”

In addition to playing basketball for LT, Courier also plays club basketball for Chicago Hoops Express when the school season is not is session. Through her club team, she has received many offers to play for different colleges but she remains open to her options.

“It started around my freshman year,” Courier said. “Just a lot of phone calls and visits to colleges. The biggest thing is what the team looks like, like the family aspect, because LT is such a family.”

During games, she maintains intensity high. Courier’s hard work and dedication to the team is obvious, Hahn said.

“On the court, I’m in the zone,” Courier said.

Courier and the varsity girls’ basketball team next play Dec. 1 at the Fremd Invite at New Trier.