Boys golf enters postseason with optimism

Team has high expectations for individual preformer

Liz Gremer, Reporter

1 vote

Following an inconsistent regular season, the varsity boys golf team headed into regionals optimistically. Despite a fifth-place finish at the conference meet, the team hoped for more success during the postseason meets and tournaments, which they accomplished where Max Rockrohr ’20 placed 13 as an individual at state.

At the state meet, on Oct. 12 and 13, Rockrohr represented LT, where he placed 13 out of 112 overall.

John Grundke
Max Rochrohr ’20 puts during a meet during the gold team’s season

“I really wanted us to make it as a team [to state] because it would’ve been very fun and a great all around experience,” Rockrohr said. “However, it was cool knowing that I was at state to represent LT.”

While the team had some success this season, they lacked the consistency that they first had in tryouts, varsity coach Kopecky said.

“Everyone has had their highs and lows,” Kopecky said. “We have to have four guys playing well, on the same day, so we get a low score.”

The team’s irregularity was prevalent during its conference meet on Sept. 25. Heading into the postseason, the team placed fifth in the conference meet, Kopecky said.

“Hinsdale Central is the top dog,” Kopecky said. “They have won at state six years in a row. This year, our league is super strong.”

In addition to Hinsdale’s first place finish, York, Downers Grove North, and Glenbard West finished ahead of LT at the meet. Despite lacking consistency throughout the season and conference meet, the team had high expectations going into regionals, Rockrohr said.

“This year, we definitely have the ability to go on to sectionals, and we should win the regional,” Rockrohr said. “We have plenty of good players, but we haven’t been able to put four scores together yet.”

At the regional meet on Oct. 2, LT was represented by three seniors, one junior, and three sophomores. Along with Kopecky, the team was accompanied by freshman-sophomore coach Bryan Hamilton at this meet.

During the regular season, Michael Kozub ‘19 had been the consistency the team needed, Kopecky said.

“Mike has been the guy so far,” Kopecky said. “Last year, Mike went to state as an individual.” Kozub had played a major role on the team during his past two years on varsity. As a junior, he was the only one on the team who went to state to represent LT. His experience with LT golf has been very rewarding, Kozub said.

“My experience for these past four years has been incredible,” Kozub said. “Not only do I enjoy the golf aspect of this program, but being around the guys makes the experience that much more fun and easier.”

Following a second-place finish at regionals, the team headed into sectionals on Oct. 8 with determination to advance to the state meet as a team. Although they didn’t meet this goal, Rockrohr made state as an individual, Kozub said.