LT softball prepares for season

Grace Palmer, Reporter

Although the 2015 LT girls softball season ended with a loss to Mother McCauley in a close, extra-inning regional game, the girls still carried on with a very unique tradition. After each game they played, their teammate, Anne Gertsmeier ‘15, would write a journal and read it aloud.

“[Gertsmeier] is quite the character,” Sam Lattner ‘16 said. “So when we did lose, she’d always cheer us up with a funny journal. All the girls love being apart of this.”

Although Gertsmeier graduated last spring, many of the girls are returning and plan on continuing not only the tradition but also last year’s success, Lattner said.

“We have many positions back and last year’s seniors set the tone for our young players,” varsity Head Coach Dawn Schabacker said. “They will be missed, but I feel that this year will be an extension of last years success.”

With all of these experienced players coming back on, the team has a goal of competing for the conference championship and to play well in their post season, Schabacker said.

“We hope to pick up where we left off [by] matching the intensity and determination that we stepped off of the field with,” Schabacker said.

The girls start the season with their first game on Mar. 30 against Trinity. Soon after they have games against Riverside-Brookfield, and Sandburg.

“[These are] three very good teams in our area,” Schabacker said. “This will be a true test for us.”

Some other tough games in the coming season will include Oak Park River Forest and of course, Hinsdale Central.

“Hinsdale [is a big competitor] just because they’re Hinsdale but OPRF is always a good game for us,” Lattner said. “They are a tough team to beat but we give them a run for their money.”

Although these teams may seem hard to beat, the girls have had a lot of experience playing on the varsity level.

“We have seniors who have been playing ball since their freshman and sophomore year,” Schabaker said. “I think this experience will prove to be a positive factor this season.”

These girls, with their experience and motivation, are ready to begin the soon approaching spring season.

“With the right leadership and hard work, we are destined for wins this season,” Peyton Hammon ’17 said.