Strong team dynamic, new players contribute to lax cohesion

Girls lacrosse moves into full swing

Gaby Sabatino, Reporter

After coming off of a 10-11 record last season and a 15th finish in state, the LT girls’ lacrosse team is heading into its new season with high hopes and driven mindsets. With the help of several talented underclassmen, as well as returning seniors, the team has the opportunity to finish this season with a more successful state ranking as compared to last year.

However, a high pace and competitive playing strategy will force the girls to challenge themselves throughout the entirety of the season.

“This year I hope to place in the top 10 at state,” Head Coach Jim Moy said. “We have great leaders that provide a lot of support and the younger players are significant building blocks for our team as a whole.”

The teams’ first game was on March 16 against Lincoln Way CO-OP and the girls successfully sealed a victory with a score of 20 to 2. Their team strategy is to run a high-pressure offense and utilize all the players through frequent substitutions, Moy said.

“This year, I feel like we have a great team to get wins under our belt in order to place in the top 10,” team captain Rachel Iffert ‘15 said.

Out of 24 players, the team consists of nine underclassmen, five of which are in the starting lineup. Therefore, team cohesiveness has been an important aspect that the team has been working on in order to create a positive environment that subsequently translates on to field.

“The veteran upperclassmen and the new players have definitely made it a priority to work in various ways to bond as a team,” team captain Maddie Green ‘16 said. “We have a lot of new talent and I think that gives us an advantage.”

Moy and the team hope to make it to sectionals this year and secure a strong record going into the playoffs. So far this season, the team has gone 4 and 1. The team faces off against Libertyville High School on April 18 at an away game.

“As varsity players, they all have the skills to be great lacrosse players but we have to work together in order to be successful,” Moy said.