Positive Playmaking

Photo Credit: Packers.com

Photo Credit: Packers.com

Joe Rossetti, Sports Editor

Entering week five of the NFL season, why is it that I haven’t heard anything positive about the NFL? Of course there are the highlight reels, the ESPN Sportscenter updates (that steal coverage from the more deserving MLB Postseason) and the articles in the newspaper; but I still haven’t heard anything truly positive or inspiring.

As far as I’m concerned, my knowledge of the NFL this season consists of scandalous, unethical acts committed by the players – and nothing more. Why hasn’t there been any positive images radiating from the NFL? To start, let’s see what has happened so far this season.

The most prominent example: Ray Rice was arrested on Feb. 15 on simple assault charges. His case has been everything but simple. As the original video surfaced of Rice dragging his wife out of an elevator, the Baltimore Ravens’ organization immediately suspended Rice, but only for two games. In the weeks following, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell admitted that he was incorrect in Rice’s two-game suspension and in reaction, he announced the league’s new domestic violence policy. Since then, a new video of Rice physically punching his wife in the face has surfaced. Rice has since been suspended from the league indefinitely and the NFL has launched an independent investigation.

Adrian Peterson is accused of disciplining his son with a tree branch, more commonly known as a switch. Peterson is currently free on $15,000 bail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Oct. 8. Peterson was originally going to be allowed to play, but now, facing child abuse charges, he is on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list and unable to play.

The Arizona Cardinals’ Jonathon Dwyer has recently been arrested on charges of aggravated assault stemming from two separate instances in his home in late July. Dwyer was accused of one count of aggravated assault, one count of aggravated assault involving a minor, two counts of criminal damage and a count of preventing the use of a phone in an emergency.

I’ve yet to hear about actual football. I’ve yet to hear about the players who do positive acts for charitable organizations, or players that better society and serve as role models. The mistakes of the few shouldn’t create a reputation for the roughly 1,600 players in the league. This violence and negative behavior seems to be a common trend among running backs in the NFL, as all three players I’ve named play the same position, but there are 22 players on the field, not just one.

Don’t get me wrong, players should absolutely be held accountable for their actions, but don’t let the actions of one change your opinion of the NFL. I think it’s fair to say that those players who have a positive impact, or conduct themselves in a well-mannered fashion, deserve recognition too. So let me do that. Let’s take a look at those players.

The NFL Foundation is a non-profit organization that focuses on improving the health and safety of sports and the broader community. In 2014, it donated $45 million dollars to USA Football to support health and safety efforts through youth and high school football programs and community health initiatives. Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers has been visiting nonprofit organizations in Wisconsin, highlighting the ones that deserve greater attention as part of his It’s Aaron campaign. Pittsburgh’s Ben Rothlisberger will be distributing grants to K-9 units of police and fire departments in cities and surrounding communities of each regular season away game for the Steelers through his foundation, The Ben Rothlisberger Foundation. The foundation distributed grants totaling $157,600 in the 2013 NFL season and has distributed over $1.2 million since 2007.

Countless other players work to give back to their communities. Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals has donated to numerous charities, including the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Special Olympics of Minnesota and the Make-A-Wish Foundation through his charity, The First Down Fund. Quarterback Tim Tebow founded the Tim Tebow Foundation, which helped build the Tebow CURE Hospital, serving children in the Philippines who have diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or cancer. Peyton Manning created the Peyback Foundation and donated to the St. Vincent’s Children’s Hospital, where kids can get help from specialists for conditions like diabetes, gastroenterology and neurology. And these are just a few athletes.

Actions like these can obviously have a profound impact on society. It’s just a shame that so many people, so many fans are unaware of the actions some players take to better society. Don’t let the negative images taint your view. The NFL is still a positive place, and it’s about time the players working to uphold this reputation receive appropriate coverage.