This poll has ended.

What are your plans for this summer?

Ella’s Italian Pub opens locally

Offers new, fun option in Western Springs
The+honey+comb+and+ricotta+toast+appetizer+from+Ellas+Italian+Pub+%28Hepokoski%2FLION%29.+
The honey comb and ricotta toast appetizer from Ella’s Italian Pub (Hepokoski/LION).

When I heard about a new restaurant opening in Western Springs called Ella’s Italian Pub, I immediately wanted to try it. I was interested in the restaurant not only because I love trying new places, but I love Italian food. The ambiance was good and the food was delicious: it definitely didn’t disappoint.

Ella’s opened in early March of this year. When I walked into the restaurant, I was amazed by how many people were there. I highly recommend making a reservation because all the tables were full when we went. Inside, the space was well used. There were many tables as well as a bar customers could sit at. 

Our waitress arrived shortly after we sat down, and while we ordered our drinks we were served large slices of bread and butter which we enjoyed while looking over the menu.

For appetizers, we got the buffalo wings ($15) and the honey comb + ricotta toast ($11). As someone who doesn’t enjoy spicy foods, the buffalo wings were very tolerable. There was a hint of spice however it wasn’t too strong. The toast was perfectly prepared and while the ricotta spread was whipped and plentiful, we all wished there was more of the delicious honey comb to go around. 

For my main meal, I got the Vodka Cavatelli ($18) with sausage (+$4). The sauce was creamy and the noodles were short and shaped in a spiral, which was good because the noodles were able to absorb the sauce better. The sausage was ground, not chunky, and was easy to chew and paired well with the sauce and noodles. It had a hint of a peppery spice which added a savory flavor to the dish. 

I also tried my family’s dishes. My mom got the Chicken Caprese ($20). It was my second favorite dish, besides my own. The chicken had a light, crispy breading and was served with fresh balsamic, pasta, tomatoes and arugula. My brother ordered the Filet Medallion ($22). The steak was perfectly prepared but the portion was a bit small. The steak was tender and juicy.  My dad got the Shrimp Scampi ($18). The shrimp were fresh, plus the sauce had a good garlic flavor. 

The menu also offers a variety of pizzas, which seemed to be a popular choice.  While I did not try one, I did talk to the couple next to me who was sharing one and they said it was very tasty.

My family and I were all amazed with the party vibe and overall atmosphere at Ella’s Italian Pub.  Everyone seemed to be having a really good time. It was loud at times but I could always hear the waiter and my family’s conversations. 

Ella’s Italian Pub is located at 447 Lawn Ave., Western Springs. It is open Sunday-Wednesday 11 a.m.–9 p.m. and Thursday-Saturday 11 a.m.-10 p.m.. 

5/5 paws