Student starts National Guard basic training

Mary Devine, Reporter

Waking up at 3:30 a.m. on a mid-summer day to exercise for two hours, put on his uniform, and finally start his day was the lifestyle of Sam Fonseca ’18 from June 12 to Aug. 24 this past summer. Fonseca decided to join the National Guard and went through his first part of basic training in Georgia this past summer. 

“I decided to join the National Guard to serve my country because it is something I have always wanted to do since I was little,” Fonseca said. “It was something I dreamed of doing.” 

Fonseca had plenty of responsibilities when he served. They would have to run up to four or five miles during their physical training, he said. He also was in charge of other National Guard members. 

“When we would go on small missions, I would have to be in charge of that small group of people, making sure someone is up throughout the night by having some people sleep while someone’s up keeping guard and rotating every 45 minutes,” Fonseca said.

Even after a whole summer in Georgia, Fonseca still has to continue training. Now until the summer, he goes to RSP, Recruit Sustainment Program, once a month for infantry training, and will be spending six weeks next summer finishing his training, he said. His mother, Venus Fonseca, has seen the National Guard change Sam as a person, too. 

“When he came back from training, I was so amazed at the mannerisms he had, he was even more polite and observant,” Venus said. “As a student, he is even more dedicated. He aims to be the best.” 

Sam, has seen how the National Guard has changed him as well.  

“One thing I took away from it was discipline,” Sam said. “It really instilled in me the seven army values: loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, personal courage.” 

Sam has gained other benefits from being a part of the National Guard too. The National Guard will pay full tuition for public in-state universities, he said.  

“The guard offers so many chances for careers and a sense of respect,” Venus said. “It’s a life choice that one will never regret.” 

Even though he will finish his training this summer, he plans to stay involved with it, he said.  

“I want to stay in it for 20 years, and retire out of it,” Sam said.  

For right now though, he is only focused on finishing high school along with his basic training.