Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Me first

Growing up, I have always been taught to value my academics. And being an athlete, I have been taught hard work in everything I do. I’ve grown up pushing myself, even when it meant reaching breaking points in my mental health. I became so used to this cycle that I did not know the difference between pushing and breaking my limits.

In general, today’s world often links fulfillment to achievement. Students, in particular, find themselves caught in a web of co-curricular commitments, academic responsibilities, and other extracurricular activities, making burnout, stress, and anxiety often inevitable on the journey to “success.” While there is nothing wrong with wanting to excel, it is also crucial to understand that “success” at the cost of mental health is a worthless victory. 

Furthermore, the negative mental health effects created by the pressure to achieve can lead to poor performance in the very achievements you are working toward. When you can not give full attention to what you are doing because you are in a state of distress due to poor mental health, it is difficult to be entirely successful in the task at hand.

For example, no matter what level of class you take, you will run into challenging tests and topics. When taking one of these assessments, you ideally want to have full concentration, since the best thing to do when completing a difficult task is to have a clear head. However, it is hard to get the intended results when you are already troubled by other feelings of anxiety; when you do not prioritize your own needs it is easy to become overwhelmed and trapped in a cycle of negativity.

Ultimately, five years from now you won’t remember that one algebra quiz that you did not do so great on or that game you could have played better in, which is why it is so important to take a step back and focus on what really matters: you. 

Self-care should be a main priority for everyone, and there are many different ways to practice it. First, it is imperative to acknowledge that self-care is not synonymous with selfishness. Prioritizing mental health and taking time for yourself even if it cuts into other commitments is a method of sustainable living which is beneficial to your long-term well-being. Therefore, choosing to spend time caring for your own specific needs will never be selfish. Taking time in your day to slow down and relax is incredibly important, whether by listening to music, reading a book, watching a show, or simply catching up on sleep. 

Overall, the importance of prioritizing yourself cannot be overstated. Success does not mean sacrificing your mental health for the sake of achievement. Instead, it is a balance of caring for both your personal well-being and your other obligations and pursuits in life. At the end of the day, the only constant thing in life is you, so make self-care the utmost priority.