Swanson’s Deli offers fresh, new option in LaGrange

I recently ate lunch at Swanson’s Deli, a new sandwich shop in downtown La Grange. I saw this restaurant on Tiktok and it was very intriguing. This location opened in May of 2023, but the original location is in Beverly, and has been open since 1965.  

Upon entering the shop, I noticed that there was very limited seating, with only five stools along the storefront window. Since I had planned on ordering takeout to bring home to share with my family, this didn’t bother me. Although I will note that this lack of tables seems inconvenient to anyone planning to dine-in. 

There was one other customer in the store, and she was in a long conversation with the cashier about an order she had placed. I immediately was impressed with how polite and collected the worker appeared as she conversed with the customer. She talked with the other workers and they quickly resolved the issue, whatever it was.  

It was my turn to order.  I looked at the impressive menu of sandwiches, salads and side dishes that was written on a large board behind the counter. The first sandwich simply said “Runner”($10.75) and I was intrigued. After asking what this included, I was told it was one of their signature sandwiches: grilled chicken with a special honey mustard sauce, lettuce and tomato. I ordered this in addition to the Italian Sub ($12.95). As I wanted to try some of their homemade side dishes, I was pleasantly surprised to see a refrigerator loaded with help-yourself options. All sorts of dips, soups, meatballs, meals to-go, and desserts. I settled on the Chile Con Queso Dip, pesto pasta salad, and a big piece of chocolate cake ($3.95)

I brought my large order home and I shared it with my dad. The total order was $44.30 for two sandwiches, a piece of cake, chile con queso dip, and pesto pasta salad.  We both loved everything–and one word to describe it all is “fresh.”  The chicken on the “Runner” was great. It had a rich flavor and all of the ingredients added a nice texture and taste. The honey mustard was the right amount of sweet and The Italian Sub tasted like it came straight from a scene in “The Sopranos.” It was very juicy with all the toppings but also a little spicy.  The Queso Dip was full of flavor and went well with pretzels. I would love to try it with tortilla chips.  The pesto salad had just the right amount of pesto–not too heavy.  And the chocolate cake was moist and fluffy. The frosting on the cake had a rich chocolate flavor. We’re excited to try their other options.

When I was walking back to my car with my order, I noticed that their sign said “Your Neighborhood Deli.” I couldn’t agree more. I highly recommend trying out this deli. I surely will be returning soon. Swanson’s deli is located at 74 S. La Grange Rd., LaGrange, and is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5.p.m., and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

5/5 paws