Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Save AP Psych

Every year, the term “safe state” becomes more and more prevalent in the United States. From the near-complete abortion bans to an onslaught of anti-trans legislation creeping its way across the country, oppressed groups have been limited in what states they are able to safely reside in. Now high schoolers in Florida who are looking to take the Advanced Placement Psychology course provided by the College Board are banned from taking the class due to its discussion of gender and sexuality throughout various units. This ban came as a direct result of Florida governor Ron DeSantis’ “Don’t Say Gay” bill being expanded through grade 12, which essentially bans any discussion of sexuality and/or gender in a school environment. 

Bans like this leave the queer community in fear of their future and unable to express themselves without scrutiny. However, Illinois is notoriously known as being a safe state in America for LGBTQ+ individuals, right? There are a few reasons why this ban is still as terrifying as it is. 

First off, DeSantis is a presidential candidate in the upcoming 2024 election. He has grown to be a household name in American politics, and his polarizing viewpoints are incredibly intriguing to many conservatives. Even if he weren’t to win this election, LGBTQ+ individuals are still acutely aware of the vast amount of people in their own communities that support this stifling of their freedom. That reality in and of itself is absolutely heart wrenching, especially for younger queer people who are now growing up in a world that seems to be moving backwards on queer rights. 

Along with this already terrifying possibility, there is also the reality that all forms of injustice begin somewhere. While the “Don’t Say Gay” bill is currently taking somewhat of a lead in this type of legislation, that isn’t to say that it will stay isolated to Florida if a different candidate is elected. Other states with similar voting patterns and ideals could recreate their own version of this bill, and based on America’s history of law making, the possibility is definitely in question.

Finally, regardless of the possibility of the legislation spreading, this development in Florida is terrifying as a stand alone issue. We are living in a country that allows states to ban students from the fifth most popular AP course, according to the College Board website. The reality of where our country stands as a whole on the rights of students is nothing short of jarring. 

All students have the right to learn. LGBTQ+ students have the right to be included in class discussions. If our country is willing to tolerate these levels of oppression, what will happen to the queer community? Enough of the safe states. We deserve a safe country, and that begins with education.