Point: AP pressure is APpropriate

Mary Sullivan, Reporter

College is a highly anticipated period of time for many high school students. It is an important time of big career decisions, excessive studying, note-taking and maybe a little partying on the side. The point is, who would not want a little extra boost of preparation before starting college.

Taking an Advanced Placement course is the perfect introduction to college level academics, and furthermore, it gives students an edge in college admissions. Putting the pressure on students to take an AP course stimulates educational motivation for students to reach for higher intellectual standards, among a plethora of other benefits.
Financial aid, increased self-esteem and strong study skills just some of the positive results of taking an AP class. To have the opportunity to amass college credits before actually embarking off to a university means that you will have fewer classes to take when you get there, and therefore less fees to pay on books classes and other resources. AP courses also look very impressive to college-recruiters looking to extend a possible scholarship.
Furthermore, kids who take an AP course in high school will be acclimated to the college academic expectations, in terms of study habits and note taking skills, so they will have the upper hand in comparison to their peers that have never took advantage of having AP classes in high school.
Lastly, any high schooler taking a college-level course has something to be proud of because it is no stroll in the park. While taking an AP class can be stressful at times, it also raises a student’s self-esteem, because it gives a student the opportunity to display that they are on the intellectual level of many college students.
More than just an individual’s self-respect, our school pride increases as a result of more students signing up to take AP exams. High schools are ranked based on how many students take AP exams. The Advanced Placement test data is used in determining the best public high schools in the nation, and as of right now, Lyons Township is ranked 1,102nd in the nation, 46th in the state, with 39 percent of our student body participating in AP classes, according to US news and world report. (Side note for those who are apprehensive about the AP exams: 96% of LT students that take the exam pass, so there is no need to stress!)
The academic profits of engaging in Advanced Placement classes are innumerous. However, the most important thing to remember is that you must know your limits. AP classes will assist your present and future academic career plans if you are mentally prepared to take them on.