Study hall, not free-for-all

Gaby Sabatino, Managing Editor

As I look around my lunch study hall room I recognize what is expected: students sitting with their phones, headphones on and totally ignoring the homework that they could otherwise be getting done in the ample amount of time. However, for the students who choose to put those 25 minutes to use, they are able to get homework done or meet with teachers for individual attention and in turn, reap the benefits. So I ask you, what could possibly be so bad about it?

The new 25 minute study hall, recently implemented this school year, has without a doubt been one of the biggest changes that returning LT students have experienced so far. Some may agree that this study hall is beneficial to students’ success, but others may believe that it is a waste of their time. However, the opportunity to receive more in-school time to finish homework, study for classes or get ahead in your courses can do nothing but good for individual students.

Therefore, given the ability to meet with teachers for classes that students are struggling in gives them more one on one time to learn in a setting that is more individualized, compared to classrooms. If you use your time in a responsible manner, these 25 minutes are very valuable.

This new policy requires students failing a class to meet with the teachers of those classes for extra time to review material and work on their studying habits. Implementing this individualized teaching rewards students who get lost in the midst of their peers in the classroom. With a school of about 4,000 students, this is exactly what we needed. Furthermore, it enables students to develop a strong relationship with their teachers in order to ensure a more confident learning experience.

High schoolers’ schedules are busy enough. Between clubs, sports, jobs, volunteer work or any other time consuming activity, many will take whatever time they can during the school day to do homework. Obviously, this comes with responsibility. If you use this time to sleep or play on your phone, you will not experience the helpfulness of this new schedule structure. However, if you choose to put this time to use you can receive the opportunity to grow in your learning and be accountable for your education.