This poll has ended.

What are your plans for this summer?

Money raised for victims of domestic violence

Milk Money Brewery hosts 4th annual fundraiser
Milk+Money+Brewery+event%3A+annual+domestic+violence+fundraiser+on+April+25+%28Cummings%2FLION%29.+
Milk Money Brewery event: annual domestic violence fundraiser on April 25 (Cummings/LION).

Milk Money Brewery hosted its fourth annual fundraiser for domestic violence victims on April 25 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Located in La Grange, the event had performances from local musicians and collected monetary donations, sponsorships, and donations of gifts.

“Our goal is to raise awareness, remove the stigma, and raise funds for women facing domestic violence,” founder and organizer of the fundraiser Mike McNamara said. “Specifically, [our goal is] to raise money for programs that help women regain independence from their abuser.”

McNamara’s passion for the cause stems from his sister’s own experience with domestic violence for 19 years, he said. After a friend of his began working at BEDS Plus charity organization and asked for help raising money for the domestic violence program, McNamara rose to the challenge. With the money raised from the fundraiser, BEDS Plus will help individuals impacted by domestic violence get back on their feet and become self-sufficient. Whether it be through transportation, housing, counseling, job search assistance, and more, BEDS Plus helps women and children regain stability.

“There are families in our very own neighborhoods who are suffering from abuse and need help to gain independence from their abuser,” he said. “You have probably seen them, and you just don’t know what is going on behind the scenes.”

It is vital to gain community engagement and awareness of the situation, and get people to spread the word that resources are available for victims, McNamara said. To educate the younger generation to the reality of the situation, particularly females, is especially important.

“Typically victims tend to not want to talk about what happened; they are embarrassed and there are many stigmas present,” he said. “They often don’t speak up, and don’t seek help. Having the younger people involved in the conversation at an early age will hopefully eliminate the stigma so that people will reach out for help and realize that the treatment they had to face was unacceptable.”

LT student performer Francesca Schultz ‘25 performed at the Milk Money fundraiser, excited to utilize her passion for music towards a great cause.

It’s important to raise awareness for a topic that is very real,” Schultz said. “Many women deal with abuse in their homes and relationships which should not be acceptable in our society. The more people who are aware that a problem exists, the more action can be taken.”

If you or someone you love is impacted by domestic violence, seek help. National Domestic Abuse Hotline: 800-799-7233