College, Career Center hosts Career Week

Representatives attend to educate students on the trades

During this year’s National Career Week, from March 11-15, LT’s College and Career Center will be hosting Career Week, in which students can meet representatives and learn more about the trades. Featuring apprenticeship unions, trade schools, career programs at community colleges, culinary schools, cosmetology schools, and more, this is a comprehensive program for those interested in a future that doesn’t involve attending college or university.

“We have very high college-going rates here at LT, so having an event like this gives an opportunity to students to see a pathway that they might be interested in that isn’t college,” College and Career counselor Cody Dailey said. “There’s a lot of unknown and misconceptions about the trades, and I think this is a great learning opportunity.” 

The event began last year, with just under 20 representatives, Dailey said. This year, that number has increased. Students can expect to hear from Fox College about their programs for those interested in culinary or in becoming a physical therapy assistant, veterinary technician, or respiratory therapy assistant. College of DuPage (COD) will also be bringing members of their manufacturing, welding, paralegal, culinary, and cosmetology programs. Unions for electricians, bricklayers, carpenters, and more, as well as organizations such as Chicago Women in Trades, will additionally be attending. 

“The de-stigmatization of universities versus a trade school will hopefully lessen soon,” junior counselor Lauren Beran said. “Those who enter trades have opportunities to enroll in trade schools, find apprenticeships or immediate work. Individuals who enter trade schools receive a career focused curriculum within their main skill/trade at less cost. During apprenticeships workers also get paid hourly and receive on the job training. They are less likely to have student loans and may find immediate job security.”

Career Week is open to any junior or senior, and students can sign up on Schoolinks.

“This is going to give students an opportunity to really see themselves in the College and Career Center,” Dailey said. “We want all students to feel like we can help them along their journey to a career, regardless of what that may look like.”