Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Choir carols for community concert

LT choir hosts holiday concert for elderly living in the area
LT’s Choir sings for audience on Dec. 1 in the NC Reber Center (Walsh/LION).

During the month of December, many people enjoy attending events to put them in the holiday spirit. LT choir hosts a holiday concert every year for community members, specifically the elderly, as a festive way to kick off the season. This year, the concert was hosted on Dec. 1 in the Reber Center. 

The choir’s annual elderly holiday concert includes a collection of songs from the Fanfares and Carols show that took place the previous night, Choir teacher John Musick said. Senior citizens in the area are invited to attend the concert and enjoy a section of LT’s arts program.

“Since taxpayer money is used to fund the school’s arts program, this show is a really nice way to say thank you to the community and to gain support for our program,” Greta Sandman ‘24 said. 

The audience thoroughly enjoys the performance every year, Sandman said. The show is fun and interactive as the crowd is given song booklets and are invited to sing along with the choir.

“This generation isn’t as accustomed to carolers or church attendance like former generations,”  Musick said. “So this type of event is very meaningful for them.”

Not only does the audience get to enjoy the performance, but after they get to eat food provided by one of LT’s culinary classes, Musick said. This year a chocolate fountain was included in the array of treats.

Although the show is centered around the entertainment of the audience, the students enjoy it as well, Musick said. This show is also a great opportunity for students to connect with someone older than them and can be very meaningful as a young adult.

“It’s really nice to look out and see a lot of people there to hear you sing and perform,” Sandman said. “We work really hard on our music and put a lot of hours in so it’s great to look out and see people enjoying it.”

Events like these are important because they build connection and appreciation, Musick said. There is a lot of value in forming bonds and giving back especially during the holiday season. Something as simple as a concert can mean much more to a person than someone may think. This season is all about spreading joy and kindness to others, and this event embodies that.

“Giving ourselves to each other and giving up our own needs for other people’s needs is really powerful,” Musick said. “It’s really all about the human connection between us and them.”