Bands get jazzed for upcoming community concert

Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Lab Band, Jazz Band students take stage
Left to right: Katherine Suttle 25, Sebastian Myers 26, Jonas Magpayo 26, Reid Dickman 25, Charlie Rodgers 26, Dylan Andrade 25, and Brody Stauber 26 practice for December concert (Cummings/LION).
Left to right: Katherine Suttle ’25, Sebastian Myers ’26, Jonas Magpayo ’26, Reid Dickman ’25, Charlie Rodgers ’26, Dylan Andrade ’25, and Brody Stauber ’26 practice for December concert (Cummings/LION).

Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Lab Band, and Jazz Band will be hosting a concert at NC Reber Center on Dec. 18. Beginning at 7:30 p.m., the concert is open to the public with no entry cost.  
“The band at LT is one of the best in the state and continues to garner state and national honors,” Jazz Director Mark Dahl said. “Having music as a daily class offers students the opportunity to work together to create something meaningful. Art doesn’t get its value from competition, it has value by making us feel something, think about new ideas, and express ourselves while building connections to others.”
The Jazz Ensemble that will be performing is a NC class open to juniors and seniors by audition, Dahl said. Practices are held every day during second period in NC room 275, in addition to after school practice outside of school once a week. The Jazz Band and Jazz Lab Band are after school clubs that welcome all students.
“The [Jazz Ensemble] works together by pushing each other to be the best they can be, whether it’s during school or outside of school,” Ava Bailey ‘25 said. “We also have sectionals every week to check in with our section and make sure our songs are coming together. Outside of class, sometimes we might meet up to play a couple songs together which really helps with our soloing.”
As a jazz performer, a member of wind ensemble, and the leader of the alto saxophone section in the marching band, Bailey has had passion for music since childhood. LT jazz has helped her grow as a musician by giving her the opportunity to explore solos, experiment with jazz improvisation, and become a stronger auditioner, she said.
“Being involved in music has really shaped my LT experience because I’ve gotten to meet so many amazing people during it,” Bailey said. “Band is such a big community and everyone is so supportive in it that you can easily find your group of people there. Two weeks before my freshman year began, [LT] had marching band rehearsal. So before school had even started, I already met so many of my friends, which really made the transition to LT a lot better.”
For students interested in music, there are plenty of courses and extracurriculars that LT has to offer, Dahl said. In addition to playing or singing in our bands, choirs, and orchestras, there are guitar classes and a great music technology course.
“The advice I would give a student who is looking to get involved in the LT music program is to go for it,” Bailey said. “You can always change your mind once you try it, but being in band helps you meet new people, develop good time management, and overall set yourself up for success in whatever career you want to do when you’re older.”
In addition to the Dec. 18 concert, in February, all jazz bands will attend the Evanston Jazz Festival. At the end of February, the bands will perform with special guest artist, Derrick Gardner.