Student leads project to restore SC Biology Courtyard

Aims to create outdoor classroom space

Most students visit the SC Biology courtyard once, if that, during their time at LT. Their knowledge of it is limited to what they can see through the windows, walking through the hallways as a freshman or sophomore. 

However, through a collaboration between Sustainability Club, Pollinator Club, Zoology Club, and National Honor Society (NHS), this once unused asset is being converted into a new resource for the school, and restored into a space where students can learn and connect to nature. 

“I used to walk past the courtyard every day and it just didn’t look good,” project leader Charles DeCraene ‘25 said. “I wanted to change this, and I wanted to take on a project that would be meaningful for the school overall. I’m a big believer that it’s good to just get outside and relax in nature: this [project] is going to make the school look aesthetically better, and give students and classes more opportunities to learn.”

The goal of the restorations is for the courtyard to become a space where teachers can bring their students and hold their classes outdoors, science teacher and Zoology Club advisor Brielle Hawrysz said. Regardless of the subject, learning outside can be extremely beneficial. The project aims to add comfortable furniture and create a classroom area, remove weeds and bushes–particularly invasive species such as Buckthorn, as well as diseased plants and trees–and plant native wildflowers. 

So far, efforts have been made to improve the ecosystem within the pond by cleaning it and adding around 150 goldfish. The waterfall was also rebuilt, and a section of the lower portion of the space was cleared of weeds and planted with native wildflowers.

We are in a time of environmental crisis with habitat loss and rapidly declining insect and wildlife populations,” art teacher and Pollinator Club advisor Patrick Page said. “This is a design issue in terms of best practice and efficient use of resources and an educational issue in that most people just don’t know.  Planting native plants can make a tremendous difference.” 

The courtyard renovations are creating a space that will educate community members about native plants and animals, as well as respecting nature in general, DeCraene said. Students who are interested in getting involved and helping out can look out for upcoming volunteer opportunities individually or through various LT clubs.

“These renovations will give us the ability to showcase the plethora of species and wealth of native environments that we have here in Illinois,” science teacher David Stormont said. “If we can get rid of our invasive species or keep them to a minimum, it allows the courtyard to not just be beautiful, but functional. Students can go outside and see what the prairie has to offer, and how it can truly support life. Nature is incredibly healthy and calming, and it will be a great resource for students to use.”