West End Art Festival showcases student’s art

LT celebrates 10th year participating in festival
Evelyn+Riordan+%E2%80%9824+sells+various+shirts+to+customers+exploring+West+End+Art+Festival+from+Sept.+9+to+Sept.+10+near+Stone+Avenue+train+station.+Community+event+showcases+student+artwork+%28James%2FLION%29.+
Evelyn Riordan ‘24 sells various shirts to customers exploring West End Art Festival from Sept. 9 to Sept. 10 near Stone Avenue train station. Community event showcases student artwork (James/LION).

The La Grange Business Association’s West End Art Festival is an annual staple for the La Grange community, featuring many activities for the whole family such as art created by local artists, live music, food and drinks, face painting, and many activities for kids. The festival was held Sept. 9-10 near the Stone Avenue train station in La Grange with free admission and parking for all visitors.

“The festival is a nice way to support the arts locally and it’s [an awesome] thing to see people in person,” art teacher Patrick Page said. “It’s a great community event.”

For the 10th year, LT students were given the opportunity to showcase and sell their art, Page said. Most of the LT artists’ work was created during class. The artists who participate are usually upper-level art students along with other students that stand out.

“It’s a great experience for them to show their work, hear feedback, and walk around and see the work of professionals,” Page said. 

In addition to displaying student artwork, the LT tent featured a pottery wheel for community members to watch wheel demonstrations, art teacher Brittany Milovanovic said. At the booth, there was clay for kids to create zoo animals to get kids interactive and excited about the art program at LT. The tent was staffed with about five to 10 LT students on festival days.

“[This is a] good way for the community to see how strong the LT art programs are and get kids [involved with] art who might not have [been] at their elementary and middle schools,” Milovanovic said.

LT’s building and grounds team is very helpful in transporting all of the supplies to the festival and bringing it back to LT when the festival is over, Milovanovic said. This year specifically, they will be very helpful with bringing over the pottery wheel.

“The process would be much more difficult without them and they should definitely be given a shoutout,” Milovanovic said.

One student who showcased her work at the festival is Evelyn Riordan ‘24, who created a charcoal pencil drawing. Most of her art was made last year in her advanced drawing and painting class. After finding a good reference photo, she was able to create a dramatic piece that she was proud of.

“The best art, you feel connected to,” Riordan said. “You’re able to take time on it and you’re able to make time for it. You’re able to sit down with it and really get to know whatever you’re drawing.”