Speech Team wins first in tournament

Individual members place highly within competition

Logan Baffico ‘22 holds up tournament trophy surrounded by team members on Jan. 8 (Photo courtesy of Kaelyn Sloan)

Evelyn Kowalski, Reporter

For the first time since 2017, LT Speech Team took first place in a tournament, bringing home 24 medals. The tournament took place in Fox Lake at Grant Community High School on Jan. 8.

“The speech team has done an awesome job this season navigating the pandemic,” assistant coach Maggie Quane said. “We had no clue what our tournaments would look like at the start of the season, so we’re so happy that our students have been able to practice and compete in-person this year.” 

The tournament had multiple rounds. Each of the competitors performed several times for a different judge to get various feedback. Since so many team members scored so highly, that contributed to the team’s overall ranking. 

“I was so proud of everybody, because all of these new members on the team have really blossomed, thrived and reached their goals they wanted to this season,” Speech Team captain Delaney Sullivan ‘22 said. 

Kathryn Lazich ‘23 was among several of the team members who ranked highly. This tournament was Lazich’s first time presenting her humorous interpretation (HI) piece, for which she placed first. She also placed second for her oratorical declamation piece. 

“I honestly didn’t even think I would break into the final [round] for HI, so I got really excited and nervous after seeing the results,” Lazich said. “At the end of the day, I was just really proud of all of us, including myself, because I know how hard all of us work. Being a part of LT Speech is really like being a part of this little community that feels like a family.”