Theatre plans performance for holiday show

Students showcase multiple characters in unique setting

Alex Sheehan ’22 and Hannah Race ’22 rehearse for “It’s A Wonderful Life,” opening Dec. 10 (Burke/LION)

Molly Burke, Reporter

LT theatre will present “It’s A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play” in the Reber Center on Dec. 10-11 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 12 at 3 p.m. Students will be able to retell a classic tale with a different spin on it, director Micheal Kuehl said. 

“LT has already performed this show years ago, but I decided to have a performance for it again, as it’s a safe show to have during the pandemic,” Kuehl said.

The cast’s original idea was to have performers separated by plexi-glass boxes, so they could perform maskless, however, the group decided to stick with masks instead, Kuehl said.

“We realized that the separation was not going to be effective, and that the actors had trouble interacting with each other,” Kuehl said. “The actors are more excited about this new option now because of the opportunity to play off of each other more.”

This version of the “It’s A Wonderful Life” movie is set as a 1940’s radio scene, in which all of the students perform as radio actors recreating the classic movie characters, Dominic Mini ‘22 said. Some of the students play several roles, switching from one character to another. 

“This show differs from traditional LT plays because it is a live radio play, so there will be no blocking, but rather, it will showcase the actors’ vocal performances,” Mini said. 

All of the sound cues and music are performed on stage live by foley artists, who will use several props and a piano, Sophia Joyce ‘22 said. 

“It will be like a real performance from the 1940s, which is something interesting and different in our performance,” Joyce said.

In only a short amount of time, the theatre board has been able to come together to bring this classic show to audiences, Mini said.

“Everyone is so supportive of one another and committed to putting on the greatest show possible,” Mini said. “The cast shares a special bond through theatre.”