LT students tie ribbons, commemorating child’s battle with cancer

Durkin’s friends (Mac Weber ’18, Michael Cooley ’18, Nick Burriesci “18 and Cassidy McNichols ’18) help tie ribbons.

Sarah Grier, Assistant Pulse Editor

Blue ribbons line the streets in Hinsdale and Western Springs to commemorate the life of 10-year-old Brooks Tonn who passed away on Dec. 1, 2017. Tonn was diagnosed with nasal cancer on Dec. 27, 2016 that eventually spread to his spine. Ellie Durkin ‘18, family friend of the Tonn’s, gathered a group of LT students to use their half day on Dec. 6 to tie the ribbons around the properties of North and South Campus.

“We are tying these ribbons around the trees lining the streets near where the family lives so when the family drives by they know the community is thinking about them and are mourning the loss of Brooks with them,” Durkin said.

According to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, one in five children diagnosed with pediatric cancer will not survive, yet it only receives 4 percent of national cancer research funding.

“These ribbons take such little time to do yet their impact is so great,” Cassidy McNichols ‘18 said. “It is another opportunity to shine light on an issue that few people recognize and show how greatly these diagnoses impact the family and the child.”

Tonn was a Hinsdale resident who attended the Lane Elementary School.