Homecoming to experience the American Dream

Travis Morales, Freelance Reporter

Along with the Lion’s roar, the roar of the 1920’s will be heard from LT, as students turn back the clock and welcome the Roaring Twenties era and the world of Great Gatsby to homecoming.

The old-fashioned theme may lead to a boost in attendance, Student Council President Brandt Siegfried ’18 said.

“I think that this is [a theme] that actually excites people and will move us in a direction that will bring students back,” Siegfried said.

Prior to the Saturday festivities, Sept.11 through Sept. 15 is Spirit Week. LT students are encouraged to show their school spirit by participating on theme days.

Monday, Sept. 11: U.S.A. Day

Tuesday, Sept. 12: Tropical Tuesday

Wednesday, Sept. 13: PJ Day

Thursday, Sept. 14: Jersey Thursday

Friday, Sept. 15: LT Gold and Blue Day

The homecoming parade is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 16 at 10 a.m. Line-up for the parade will begin at 8:30 a.m. in the north lot of NC. The parade will begin on the corner of Cossitt Avenue and Blackstone Avenue and continue south to Goodman Avenue. It will then head west to Clausen Avenue, heading south across 47th street through Garden Market plaza and conclude in front of SC at approximately 11:30 a.m.

LT is expected to see an increase in alumni attendance, Director of Student Activities Peter Geddeis said. One reason is the unveiling of new mascot costumes during the parade, and this is the first time the new mascots will be shown in public, Geddeis said.

“The mascots are like nothing that anyone has ever seen before,” Geddeis said. 

The homecoming celebrations will conclude with the dance on Saturday, Sept.16, in the SC Fieldhouse at 7:30 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. Tickets for the dance are $15 in advance, and $25 at the door or for non-LT guests.

Siegfried believes that this year’s dance will continue to revolutionize the idea of a traditional setting, to a more casual atmosphere.  

“The structure of the dance is changing; I think we have begun to shift away from the traditional thought of homecoming,” Siegfried said. 

For the second consecutive year Monster Entertainment will be providing the dance. The mutual familiarity between LT and Monster will be a plus for this year compared to previous years, Geddeis said.

“I think that this could very well be a more impressive dance than last year’s,” Geddeis said. 

Additionally, homecoming features other special events.

Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 11 and 12: Variety Show, 7 p.m. at the Reber Center

Friday, Sept. 15: Pep Rally, 6 p.m. at Bennett Field

Friday, Sept. 15: varsity soccer game, 7:30 p.m. at Bennett Field

Saturday, Sept. 16: Homecoming parade, 10 a.m. along the route

Saturday, Sept. 16: varsity football game, 1:30 p.m. at Bennett Field

Saturday, Sept. 16: Homecoming dance, 7 p.m. at SC Fieldhouse