SAC supports local program

Sheridan Spiess, Copy Editor

Every March for the past four years dancers from LT and the surrounding area have come to LT Performing Arts Center of SC to perform and help Social Action club raise money for a program in need. Each year, LT Steppers start off the show with other LT dance groups following them.

This year, Social Action club chose to raise money for Firehouse Arts Center in Lawndale, Chicago. The dance benefit is called Teens Dancing for Teens. It took place on March 3 at 7 p.m. Groups participating in the event include LT Steppers, LT Greek club, Beyond Words Dance Company, Watch My Feet Dance Company, M.A.D.D. Rhythms West Dance Company, Footwork Dance Ensemble and Expressions Dance Studio. Eurythmics had previously participated in the event, but was unable to this year due to another commitment. Although they could not attend, Eurythmics advisor Terry Wethington helped Social Action club find local dance groups.

Social Action club was looking for an underfunded program to support. Last year, students in the club discovered Firehouse Arts Center and decided to raise money for this group again this year. The program teaches local teens about the arts. Social Action club advisor Olga Boutov was happy that the club members chose a program that supported the arts and was happy to raise money through the arts since she was a dancer when she was younger.

“I always enjoy a diverse group of dancers coming together and enjoying each others’ art,” Boutov said. “This is a perfect example.”

Admission cost $5 and the club also raised money through a bake sale and a 50/50 raffle drawing. Social Action club raised $650 for Firehouse Arts Center. The money will be used to buy a speaker system and anything else that aids the program in teaching the arts.

Social Action club president Luke Lucio ’16, who helped with Teens Dancing for Teens for his fourth year, helped find the underfunded program.

“There are so many programs out there that need help, so it worked out perfectly,” Lucio said.

Colleen Gibbons helped with technically with the event, because of her background in theater, and LTTV helped the club through the creation of videos to advertise the event and boost attendance, which has been growing in the four years Teens Dancing for Teens has taken place.

“We want to raise money for a good cause,” Boutov said. “I think it’s a great event for the dancer because they enjoy watching each other, they cheer for each other and it [creates] such a sense of camaraderie.”

Later in the year, Social Action club is planning to volunteer for Feed My Starving Children, which is a program in which volunteers pack food for children around the world in need. Along with this, the club raises money to sponsor two children for Christmas.