Chimera’s Comics foresees ‘Magnificent’ future

Community raises money to kickstart comic book

Adam Janicki, Reporter

Six years ago Carmelo Chimera pitched his graphic novel idea “Magnificent” to another devoted comic book fan, Steven Brown. Co-owners and co-creators, Brown and Chimera have spent the last six years intensely working on the 66-page graphic novel. With the help of the surrounding communities, Chimera was able to kickstart the novel.  The comic is set to be finished Jan. 31, 2016, and released on its free comic book day, May 7, 2016.

“The community has blown us away with the amount of money they have raised for ‘Magnificent’,” Brown said. “The overwhelming support is what is going to make this project a reality.”

Through crowd sourcing Chimera’s Comics was able to raise close to $8,000, exceeding their goal by eight percent. Additionally, the project strengthened the relationship between Brown and Chimera.

“This comic in many ways is the very foundation of the bonds between me and Steven,” Chimera said. “We were good friends in high school, but it wasn’t until I wrote this book that united us with a common purpose. Our friendship became what it is because of “Magnificent.”

While attending Carthage College with Brown, Chimera created “Magnificent”.

“I originally thought of ‘Magnificent’ in college which served as a metaphor about growing up and facing the pains of the ‘real world,’” Chimera said. “It started as a belief- that experience is the only teacher and that it can be painful- but that no matter what happens to you its possible to stay true to the values you hold most dear.”

Despite many ups and downs, Chimera and Brown were able to exceed their goals and expand their business.

“Over six years of hard work and stops, there were doubts on finishing the comic,” said Brown. “Progress slowed as we expanded our business in La Grange[19 South La Grange Road] and Oak Lawn, then when we opened in Woodridge things settled down and we got back to working on [the comic].”

Chimera’s Comics continues to grow with the support of communities and comic book fans.

“Comic book stores have changed from five to 10 years ago,” Brown said. “There is a new generation of comic book stores which includes knowledgable staff, a clean and neat store, a great selection of old and new comics and community involvement.”

Fan Ben Nowak ‘16 preached Chimera’s Comics success as a store.   “I think it’s awesome seeing a store and community help each other out,” Nowak said. “As a big comic book fan I am excited for the release of ‘Magnificent’ along with others.”

Chimera’s Comics fans will continue to see new projects blossom following the release of “Magnificent”.

“Chimera has been working on several other projects, some are sequels to ‘Magnificent’ and there is at least one prequel,” Brown said.  “I am currently working on a time travel comic, which will probably be our next project.”

For many fans, Chimera’s Comics is becoming an iconic comic book store in the Chicago area.

“I have been reading comics for a while now and Chimera’s has continued to provide the comics I am looking for,” Nowak said.  “I can’t wait to see what new projects and comics they will bring in the future.”