Student Council opts to move in new direction

An alternative event to KOH dance will be voted upon by 2015-2016 members

Credit: giveawayboy (Flickr Creative Commons)

Ceili Doyle, Assistant News Editor

Student Council has decided to replace the King of Hearts dance for the upcoming 2015-2016 school year due to lack of attendance and overall dismal feedback from the student body. The event that will replace the regular February dance has yet to be determined.

“We have reserved the last Saturday in February of next year in the Fieldhouse for some event, but beyond that, no decisions have been made,” Student Activities Director and Student Council advisor Peter Geddeis said. “It would be premature and a little presumptuous for this year’s student council to decide what next year’s student council should be doing for events.”

Elections were held for the 2015-2016 Student Council officers on April 29, and current president, Thomas Cushing ’15, has full faith in the ability of the newly appointed leadership to create an alternate event to KOH that LT students will want to attend.

“I think that all of new officers are going to work well together, even just the regular Student Council attendees,” Cushing said. “I have a lot of confidence in them; they’re a great group of students and I think they will really listen to what the rest of the student body wants.”

An idea that has been discussed at Student Council meetings is to host a Crosstown Classic series of Olympic style games with Hinsdale Central instead of KOH next year, according to president-elect Nick Fuentes ‘16 Fuentes plans to advocate for this event in hopes of boosting school spirit and generating more revenue at LT.

In terms of raising attendance numbers at this alternate event to KOH and all future Student Council functions, Fuentes intends to utilize all of the assets available at LT to gain publicity.

“We’re really going to try and market next year through the LT Weirdos,” Fuentes said. “My agenda for this summer is to tackle the LION, WLTL and LTTV to use the resources we have.”

Fuentes and the rest of the officers, alongside the entire body of Student Council, are focused on improving LT students’ experiences at Student Council sponsored events and hope to place more emphasis on event promotion this upcoming school year.

“Right now the biggest flaw in our Student Council is a lack of marketing,” Fuentes said. “It’s the reason why attendance has been low and I think once we attack that from all angles, we’ll be able to sell this new [alternative to KOH].”