Happiness Survey
Happiness Survey
April 3, 2024
To bet or not to bet
March 21, 2024
Poll

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Journalism programs receive national recognition

Students nominated at national level for photojournalism, editorial writing
From+left+to+right%2C+Joseph+Maffey+stands+alongside+Sydney+Matysik+%E2%80%9824%2C+Nina+Ivancevic+%E2%80%9824%2C+and+Josie+Menna+%E2%80%9824+%28Davis%2FLION%29.+
From left to right, Joseph Maffey stands alongside Sydney Matysik ‘24, Nina Ivancevic ‘24, and Josie Menna ‘24 (Davis/LION).

This past August, three student journalists from Tabulae and The LION were nominated for national recognition from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA). Every year, the NSPA holds two national journalism conventions, one in the fall and one in the spring. At these conventions, awards are given out to the top student journalists in the country. 

LION Newspaper editor in chief Nina Ivancevic ‘24 has been recognized as a top 10 finalist for “Story of the year: Editorial.” The article nominated is one she wrote last year as a junior titled “Importance of inclusion.” The article was submitted for consideration of being nominated at the end of last school year by newspaper advisor Jason Scales

“Last year when I saw that Mr. Scales had submitted my editorial, I barely remembered writing the article,” Ivancevic said. “It’s crazy to think that now I’m a finalist because of it.” 

Along with Ivancevic, Tabulae EIC’s Josie Menna ‘24 and Sydney Matysik ‘24 are also finalists for NSPA awards. Menna is nominated for ‘Photojournalist of the year,’ and Matysik is nominated for ‘Photo of the year.’ 

To be nominated, Menna submitted a portfolio that consisted of five photos along with captions, a description of what she did to capture each photo, as well as a personal statement about her photography career. 

“At first, I didn’t think [being nominated] was that big of a deal,” Menna said. “But then I realized, being recognized for my photography is an honor.” 

For ‘Photo of the year,’ Matysik picked a photo, captioned it, wrote a title, and  submitted it last spring. 

“I didn’t know what the magnitude of the nomination was at first,” Matysik said. “I had submitted this same photo for a different competition in the spring, and I received an award but it wasn’t the highest. I wasn’t expecting a different outcome to happen this time, but it did, which is super exciting.” 

Matysik and Menna’s photos were submitted for nomination by their Tabulae advisor Joseph Maffey. Maffey has also been recognized at the national level by being one of eight recipients of the Rising Star Award. He has been acknowledged for developing a program that in his first five years of advising has helped students find success and recognition. 

“I feel like the role of the advisor is to sit back and give advice,” Maffey said. “I don’t want the spotlight, but it helps give the yearbook students recognition for their work.” 

This year’s fall NSPA convention is being held in Boston, from Nov. 2 to Nov. 5. Ivancevic will be attending the convention, with the rest of the senior LION newspaper students, with hopes of winning first place in her category. Maffey is also planning to attend the convention to receive his award, along with Menna and Matysik who will also be honored.