Boys soccer season set to achieve big goals

Team takes down rivals Hinsdale Central in Silver Brick game after last year’s ‘disappointing’ loss in penalty kicks

Igor Chrobotowicz ’23 leads team in celebration over Hinsdale Central on Sept. 20 (Wolf/LION).

Sydney Wolf, Sports Editor

With the start of the school year comes the return of the fall soccer season with varsity head coach Paul Labbato and his team of 21 players. After finishing off last season as third in the West Suburban Silver Conference, Labbato’s team is determined to come back tougher and stronger and obtain their most important regular-season goal: winning back the silver brick from rivals, Hinsdale Central, he said. 

The boys have taken home the trophy five consecutive years up until last year’s disappointing loss in penalty kicks, Labbato said. However, with Hinsdale hosting the game this year, the absence of home field advantage will be their biggest challenge.

“Hinsdale always has a big crowd who brings lots of taunt[s] and cheers that we’ve become accustomed to from opposing stadiums,” Labbato said.  

Walking into the season hasn’t been the easiest as they lost some of their best players to college. They are welcoming new faces, but Labbato is confident that this year’s seniors will step up, become leaders, and take control on the field. 

“I’m excited for our seniors,” Labbato said. “I’ve known these guys since they were little and it’s finally their turn to be the big kids and lead the group to important victories this season.”

Center defensive mid and team captain Will Swicionis ‘23 is returning for his fourth season with LT soccer and second on varsity, he said. Swicionis fell in love with the sport at the young age of 4 and his love has only grown stronger. Following high school, he wants to continue his career in any way he can. While Division I has been a long lasting dream of his, Swicionis will find the same enjoyment playing Division III or even club.

“I have always wanted to be a captain for my high school team ever since I was a freshman,” he said. “It is truly something special to me, being able to play for this team at all.”

Another stand out player is center forward, Brian Salvino ‘23, Labbato said. Salvino was a special case, however. He as well will be returning for his second year on varsity, but his junior year wasn’t his first on the team. Salvino played for the varsity team his sophomore year and left to play for Major League Soccer (MLS) the following year. 

The youth soccer league was able to teach Salvino valuable skills such as bringing intensity into each practice and game, he said. Along with that, the aspect of professionalism he gained from playing with some of the top players in the nation. However, the high school soccer feeling simply remained superior. 

“A large difference I noticed between LT and MLS Next is the community,” Salvino said. “There is nothing like coming out and playing in front of your loved ones each day while taking down rivals with your close friends.”

Salvino has a few big goals set for the season, some that include the process of looking into schools that best benefit him as a student and athlete, he said. Salvino wants to continue his career in college, and is mostly looking towards Division I. A final goal he shares with the rest of the team is making a run at state for the last time. 

As half the team will be parting their ways come the end of the school year, one last chance to show off their skills and have a great season is what they’ll be striving for, Labbato said. 

“What I am going to miss the most about high school soccer is being able to be with my teammates each and every day for two months, on the field and in the classroom,” Swicionis said. “As soon as these guys step on the field with me they feel like family.”

The team will be playing next at NC West Field against Reavis High School on Oct. 1 at 11 a.m.