Girls Volleyball Handles Tension

Speculation surrounds the relationship between club, LT teams

Girls+Volleyball+Handles+Tension+

Gaby Sabatino, Reporter

As a new school year begins, the LT student body prepares to get back into its regular routine of homework and rigorous studies. But the LT varsity girls volleyball team heads into yet another season, with hopes of victory for the coaching staff and all the players involved.

However, tension surrounding the program has raised questions about the relationship between LT and club teams and whether or not those relationships affect the final team selection.

Varsity Head Coach Joann Pyritz has been coaching and building this successful program over the past 25 years. She has led the team to two state championships in her time as head coach. As the years have gone on, however, she has seen more girls start to play for a variety of club teams throughout the school year.

“It has become more club oriented,” Pyritz said. “Almost 100 percent of the players play for club now and only one third had been involved in club volleyball when I started.”

In August, the girls try out for the LT team to play in the fall for Pyritz but after their school season, they continue to play for club teams like Lions Jr. and First Alliance. These teams are not affiliated with LT’s program. All the players that make up the LT team come from various club teams that compete against each other when in season.

Madisen Babich ‘16 has been playing volleyball for eight years and made the varsity team as a freshman. She plays on the First Alliance club team as a libero and believes that the club teams do not affect the selection for the varsity team at LT.

“Coach P looks at everyone to make sure they have a fair shot,” Babich said. “She wants to put the best six players on the court to win.”

One student, who wishes to remain anonymous, has experienced both sides of the LT and club teams and feels that where they play during the off season does, in fact, make a difference on choosing the final roster.

“As time went on it started to become more drama and less volleyball,” the source said. “I believe that it has strongly affected the chemistry of the team.”

Regardless of this perspective, it does not take away from the success that has come out of this program and the hard work that the players put in to every season.

“At the end of the day we all come together to play, and have one mind set of winning,” Babich said.