Russia’s invasion of Ukraine impacts local students

Student with Ukrainian heritage details how she is coping with invasion of Ukraine

People+protesting+the+Russian+invasion+of+Ukraine+in+Chicago+%28photo+courtesy+of+Monika+Krueger+22%29.+

People protesting the Russian invasion of Ukraine in Chicago (photo courtesy of Monika Krueger ’22).

Lily Hanafin, Opinions Editor

Monika Krueger ‘22 remembers attending Ukrainian dance and culture classes every week, listening to the moms speaking in Ukrainian while braiding her hair, and wearing traditional flower crowns and embroidered outfits, she said. 

On the weekends, she went to Ukrainian Sunday School and continued to learn about her family’s history. Being 50% Ukrainian on her mother’s side, Krueger was always heavily involved in her Ukrainian heritage; however, despite all the fun time she spent involved in CYM (Ukrainian Youth Association) and going to Ukie camps, being Ukrainian meant learning about Ukraine’s painful history.

She grew up learning about the Holodomor genocide and the constant threat of Russia, so when Russia invaded the sovereign country of Ukraine on Feb. 24, Krueger was not surprised, she said.

“When I woke up the next morning and heard that Russia had invaded, I was like, ‘oh my god, we’re here again,’” Krueger said. “I’ve always known about this looming Russian presence; in fact, I remember at Ukie camp packing care packages for soldiers in 2013-2014. It wasn’t surprising because I grew up learning about this, but just hearing it happen, watching [it] on TV, and seeing the stalling of aid and response from NATO is really jarring. It’s really heartbreaking; it’s frustrating, it’s really tough. I can’t compare my experiences to people that are actually in Ukraine, but just being Ukrainian and being surrounded by the culture, it’s devastating.”

Although Krueger always embraced her Ukrainian culture, she rarely talked about her culture with anyone outside of her family until now, Krueger said.

“I’ve always been proud of it, but it hasn’t been something that I talked about,” Krueger said. “Now there’s a definite reason I should be talking about it. And I always felt pride, but especially now watching videos and listening to podcasts of Ukrainian people being interviewedit’s just insane bravery.”

Krueger and her two sisters, along with her mom who once lived in Ukrainian Village, attended the protest against the Russian invasion on Feb. 27 in her mom’s old neighborhood along with many other Ukrainian students at LT. 

“It was an amazing turnout,” Krueger said. “There were so many people there and it wasn’t just Ukrainians; there were Lithuanians, Poles, and many people from other ethnic backgrounds. There were many Chicago-area politicians and high profile people that came out and were giving speeches, and there were even people my age that were giving speeches. We parked, walked out of the alleyway and saw blue and yellow everywhere. There were little grandmas wrapped up in their Ukie flags and there were parents with kids on their shoulders holding little Ukie flags. It was overwhelming the amount of people there supporting the cause.”

Even with all the support and large turnout at the protests, Krueger still grapples with the reason behind why all these protests are having to take place, she said.

“It’s tough because you all know why you’re there and you all know the backdrop of what is happening, and the fact that we have to be there in the first place is really unsettling,” Krueger said. “But the massive support, the calls to action, and the people who have come together, it is amazing.” 

The history between Russia and Ukraine is very long and complicated and cannot be understood overnight; however, what Krueger, and most Ukrainians want the world to see is their strength.

“We are a sovereign nation; we are not Russian,” Krueger said. “Слава Україні. Героям слава.” Glory to Ukraine. Glory to the heroes.

The LT community has been helping the crisis in Ukraine by organizing fundraising events. PSI organized a T-shirt sale that is sending all the proceeds to a Ukrainian orphanage. The Legion of Young Polish Women and the Polish-American Medical Society of Chicago are accepting donations. The Interact Club and the Student Equity and Belonging Committee are hosting a donation drive.