Staple LaGrange businesses close

Mary Okkema, Assistant Online Editor

4 votes

A recent surge of business closures in downtown La Grange has caused residents to question the viability of La Grange as a pro-business community.

“La Grange contains many diverse small businesses,” Community Development Director Charity Jones said. “One positive aspect of this business mix is that it mitigates risk; the closing of any one of our businesses does not significantly impact the overall performance of the retail district.”

Businesses that closed recently in La Grange include Francesca’s Bellezza, Modasi, Taco Cantina, Back Alley Burger, Runners’ Soul, Pier One and Smashburger.

Other stores and restaurants have filled the vacant space that lease businesses left: Altiro Latin Fusion (1 S. La Grange Rd), The Clever Fig (21 S. La Grange Rd), Aodake Ramen (19 Calendar Ave) and Forbidden Noodles (50 S. La Grange Rd).

Other La Grange business owners said they would like more retail stores to move in.

“I would encourage residents around us to shop that retail,” Maria Marciniec, the owner of Tate’s Old Fashion Ice Cream Shop, said. “We only have a few little retail shops, but the problem is when a retail space becomes a restaurant, hoods and sinks are put in. Things are put in that are really hard to take out, so we are losing retail to more And more restaurants.”

The closures have had different effects on the surrounding businesses. Older businesses, like Chleo and Tate’s Old Fashion Ice cream shop who have long standing reputation with their customers have not seen a decline in business, Chleo employee Tina Smith said.

However, We’re Nuts on Harris Ave. has seen a decrease of people in town, owner Medelin Elizaga said. She also credits the lack of people to the weather and the increase in online shopping.

However, the Community Department works to fill vacant store fronts by promoting commercial properties in LaGrange to businesses that are seeking to settle in a community like La Grange. They do this by directly working with commercial brokers in the area and participating in networking opportunities provided by retail organizations like the International Council of Shopping Centers, Jones said.

“People from La Grange take care of their businesses downtown,” Marciniec said. “They support them. We love it here.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Staple LaGrange businesses close”

1. robert hathaway on July 26th, 2018 10:26 am

i dont do much in lagnge because of the 2%sale taxs to the village i hear other bussines that may close corner bakery the show

*

• News

Student council makes major changes to homecoming dance

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

News

LT offers new Mock Trial club

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

News

New security in place for new school year

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

News

On school safety, LT Save Club promotes alternative to gun control

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

Sports

LT Football honors seniors, plays Sandburg

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

Online Exclusives

Jason Mraz sings his loving heart out at the Ravinia

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

News

Welcome back to a new year of news!

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

Online Exclusives

Yes, Pride Month is commercial. That doesn’t mean it isn’t important.

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

News

Media Mayhem: LTTV sportscaster becomes Emmy Award presenter

• Staple LaGrange businesses close

Sports

Kilrea secures another individual title

Staple LaGrange businesses close