Survey enacts change at LT

Student, staff climate survey alerts school of insistent problems, causes future adjustments at LT

Ceili Doyle, News Editor

LT sent a mass e-mail to students and staff on Oct. 15 asking them to respond to the 2015-2016 climate survey conducted by the independent firm, School Perceptions LLC. The climate survey has served as a barometer for LT administrators to measure the levels of stress faced by students and staff in years past. This year’s results aren’t expected to be released for the next few months; however, the information they provide is vital in continuing to move LT in a positive direction.

“The reason we conduct the survey is to collect feedback,” Principal Dr. Brian Waterman said. “Based on what the survey gathers we want to know what programs and services we can provide going forward that will help assist or respond.”

The climate survey has prompted LT to make several changes to the curriculum, school day schedule and student resources in past years.

We noticed a consistent theme that students and parents were requesting that we examine our practice of ranking students.” Superintendent Dr. Tim Kilrea said. “We contacted multiple high school districts in our area who eliminated the practice, as well as a selected group of colleges/universities where many of our graduates attend. After compiling the information, and careful consideration, we opted to phase out the practice of ranking students.” The list of improvements LT has made ranges from class rank to moving final exams before winter break, as well as the implementation of a structured 25-minute study period and Canvas this school year. All of these changes were spurred by student and faculty responses from previous climate surveys.

The survey gives the administration pause to say whether or not LT should be looking into making adjustments, Kilrea said.

Students have generally been very receptive to the actions taken by administrators in light of results from prior climate surveys.

“I think the changes made from the survey have been mostly beneficial. Honestly I haven’t used Canvas much this year but having the 25-minute study hall really helps,” Ellie Finnerty ’16 said. “The climate survey is nice because it’s unanimous so you aren’t afraid to say how you really feel.”

The survey also addresses LT’s faculty members with separate questions.

“The teachers’ questions have a different focus,” LTEA President Marie Gillespie said. “For example, questions in the faculty survey related to stress refer to curriculum planning, as well as perceptions of how we think students are dealing with stress.”

Overall the administration looks to the climate survey to identify key issues to target improvements towards.

“We look at things in generalities, in terms of student, staff and parent feedback to identify themes that emerge,” Kilrea said. “There might be individual concerns, but if there is a consistent theme throughout that’s really what we’re trying to look for.”