Freshmen, sophomore prepare for musical

Underclassmen show theatrical skill, talent in upcoming musical performance at SC

Hallie Coleman, Reporter

The underclassman theatre cast will be performing a play titled “13” in the PAC at SC on October 23-25. “13” is a coming of age musical with substantial messages about stereotypes, labels and fitting in.

“It’s a simple message you hear from a lot of teachers when you’re a little kid which is to accept everyone for who they are,” theatre director Eugene O’Reilly said.

“But [‘13’] does it in a very funny way with really awesome music.”

The play is based upon a 13-year-old boy named Evan, played by Jack Doherty ‘16. Evan is forced to move from the large environment of New York to Indiana after his parents’ divorce. He struggles to fit in and make adjustments to limited and quaint environment, theatre co-sponsor Ann Dudek said.

“I can personally relate to Evan’s struggle to be popular,” Doherty said. “I can relate to how it sucks being the weird one out.”

The cast rehearses six days a week for two to three hours. Much of the cast knows each other from theatre programs outside of school such as Music Makers and Western Springs Theatre as well as the play from last year.

“My biggest hope is for the cast to work together as a unit because it’s just one of those shows that really relies on the chemistry,” Doherty said.

“13” will be O’Reilly’s 29th show he has directed at LT. A couple years ago O’Reilly had heard a few songs from “13” and decided to further research the production.

“The lessons are very real,” O’Reilly said. “Adults will appreciate it because the characters are everybody whose been in high school since high school started. It’s all the stereotypes brought out in front of you.”

Doherty has been acting for 10 years. In the past he has played comical characters, but Evans is one of the first serious roles he will paly, Doherty said.

“Being the lead is a lot of fun and it’s great to have the limelight, but it is a little nerve racking,” Doherty said.

Over the course of four years the theatre program varies the genre of plays. Some of the past genres have been classical, modern and Shakespearian, Dudek said.

“The music is so different, the story has lots of twists and turns that I don’t think anyone will see coming, and it just nails what it was like being a preteen,” Doherty said.

The main goal for O’Reilly is to sell out all three shows. That means about 350 people would attend each performance.

“For the freshman/sophomore show we always hope to get a good number of cast members in,” Dudek said. “That way they get to experience LT theatre and it helps us recruit new talent and it allows them to showcase their talent. We always hope that students have a good time and they learn more about the craft of acting and that they are able to share it with the community.”