Donation drive collects rejected college items

MelRose Buckler, News Editor

On Monday, April 11 the College and Career center hosted a “Rejected College clothing drive” so that LT seniors could donate any and all clothing items or accessories that they naively purchased after touring a college that they thought they would get into.

“I thought I was going to get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Brown and Colombia, so I bought a sweatshirt from each college when I visited them just in case I needed to post an Instagram of me wearing the sweatshirt so that people would know what college I was going to,” Hope Appy ‘16 said. “Sadly, I got rejected from all of them, so now I’m happy that I can remove any painful memories, while at the same time donating to a good cause. I think the drive is a great idea.”

After noticing the amount of Harvard sweatshirts that students at LT seemed to wear, College and Career center director Linda Fusser decided to start this donation drive because she knew that not that it is basically impossible to get into Harvard if you go to LT.

“I mean we try to stay positive and encourage students to apply to ‘reach’ schools,” she said. “But it’s honestly just so that we don’t crush their innocent, optimistic and sheltered minds before they enter the real world next year.”

Many students donated clothing, hats, keychains, water bottles and scarves from colleges they were rejected from.

“It was so exciting to just dump all the reject college clothing into the donation bin, just like the colleges probably dumped my application in the garbage,” Appy said. “It was such a cathartic experience.”

Fusser said hundreds of college items were donated during the drive because the LT students apply to so many reach schools, she said.

“LT students are a bit too ambitious when they apply to colleges,” Fusser said. “Just because you have a good gpa and a good ACT score doesn’t mean you’ll get into college. Literally everyone that applies to certain colleges have good gpas and a good ACT scores.”