Girls tennis dominates

Girls tennis builds strong name, team

Katie Palermo, Reporter

The newly built tennis courts at South Campus did not expect the power coming from this year’s varsity tennis team. Although the challenges of not playing on a true “home court” last year created difficulties for the team, it did not knock them off their game. This year they came back ready to compete.

Despite the loss of player Meg Kowalski (who is training in Hilton Head Island, SC),  the team was able to rebuild. Aiding in the rebuilding, Lahari Yelamanchili ‘19 came in ready to win. Head Varsity Coach, Bill Wham said that [she] has helped the team since she has been competing in tournaments from a young age.

Although she is the youngest on the team, “Being a freshman on varsity has been really fun,” Yelamanchili said. “I have been able to meet a lot of people that I never would have known if I hadn’t been on the team,”

The team’s success attributes it to keeping a positive atmosphere on and off the court, along with the motivation they have during practices Stefana Vasic ’16 said.

“I think part of our success this year is how close the team has become,” Vasic said. “We are always there for each other and help one another out by giving tips or just talking after a bad practice.”

With the end of the regular season coming to an end co-captain Sophie Allison ’16 hopes that by the end of the season they will have improved their state ranking. Last year, varsity placed third in state. Allison has a strong feeling that this season, LT will improve that.

“This year especially compared to other years, we have had a strong lineup.” Allison said. “Having a set partner and lineup helps us because we can practice hard with our partner and learn how to cover for each other.”

With multiple seniors graduating on the team, there will be a few empty spots for the 2016 season, and the whole team bonding cycle will start over.

“I hope we set the team up for a great chance at state next year,” Allison said.