Athlete of the Month – Jaquan Phipps

Anika Ranginani, Managing Editor

When Jaquan Phipps ‘15 first walks into a room, the first thing you notice is his huge smile. That smile makes the 6-foot 3-inch varsity basketball co-captain, who may otherwise seem intimidating, extremely approachable. That smile would also help you understand how Phipps’ status as a role model makes him just as invaluable to his team as his strong play on the court.

“Jaquan always has a positive attitude which makes him a great role model,” co-captain Harrison Niego ‘15 said. “Young players look up to him and see how hard he works and improves his skills.”

Contributing to key plays late in the game with mental toughness and a contagious energy, Phipps makes a significant impact on LT basketball.

“He’s a great leader,” Niego said. “He pushes everybody to be better and that’s what you expect from a strong captain.”

During the Dec. 31 game against DePaul Prep, Phipps made a decisive three-point play during double overtime to secure another win for LT, Head Coach Tom Sloan said.

“[Jaquan] rarely sits,” Sloan said. “He plays throughout the game and shows a lot of determination even if he’s fatigued.”

Phipps began playing basketball in seventh grade when he moved to the suburbs after living in the inner city, where he used to play baseball and football. However, when he moved, he didn’t know the teams or programs in the area so he played basketball during the school season.

“He’s always loved playing basketball; it’s something that’s been obvious all along,” Sloan said.

For Phipps, basketball was more exciting than baseball. He appreciated the faster pace of basketball in contrast to the slower structure of baseball. Moreover, he emphasizes the importance of working with the team.

“The best thing about any sport is being with the team,” Phipps said. “They’re not only a team, they’re like a family. There’s a special bond. You play as one; you hang out as one.”

Phipps and Niego have been playing together since seventh grade.

“We’re like brothers,” Phipps said. “Blood couldn’t make us closer. That connection we have on and off the court really helps; we have confidence in each other to make plays.”

Jaquan’s team-oriented nature carries into how he plays during practice and during games. According to Sloan, that attitude helps the team succeed.

“He’s not selfish,” Sloan said. “He can use his athleticism to get to the basket and score or create shots for his teammates.”

That athleticism requires a lot of hard work. Phipps practices basketball every day, including the off-season, when he plays on an Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team with Niego.

“We are constantly practicing and playing in games together,” Niego said.

All the practice has paid off in better ball-handling, passing and shooting, Sloan said. Phipps plays both forward and guard. As a coach, Sloan avoids keeping players in only one position.

“I really improved my overall game. I didn’t want to be one-dimensional, which makes me such a key player,” Phipps said.

The only difference between in-season and off-season is that he works out and lifts more during the off-season, he said.

“It’s great to see what you’ve worked so hard for,” Phipps said. “You keep progressing to get better. Seeing it paying off on the floor gives you the confidence that you didn’t waste your time working out. You actually deserve this.”

Phipps’s hard work, energy and confidence encourages younger players to work harder and to play better in the long run, Sloan said.

“When the best players are the hardest workers, players know they can’t slack off,” Sloan said. “That’s a really good example for Jaquan and the other guys to set.”

This season, Phips’s favorite game was the Bluenami game at Hinsdale Central on Jan. 9, where so many LT fans showed up that the police had to stop letting students in because they had reached the building’s capacity.

“Our fans are on the court with us,” Phipps said. “They give us energy when we don’t have it and confidence when we don’t have it. Weirdos motivates you to make the school proud.”

While Phipps has not yet committed to playing at a specific college next year, he still plans to continue to play basketball in college.

“I’ve seen Jaquan change as a person as well as improve as a basketball court,” Niego said. “He has a great future ahead of him and I’ve seen him grow into the person he is today.”