Owl and Lark soars

Local juice and coffee bar offers healthy options, great addition to community

Lauren Hucko, Pulse Editor

In recent years, downtown La Grange has witnessed a multitude of additions that have contributed to the gradual modernization and functionalization of a once meagre downtown area. This past month, La Grange welcomed Owl and Lark Juice and Coffee bar to 41 South La Grange Road.

Upon entering Owl and Lark, I was met with pure aesthetic. The white tiled walls are crisp and clean, creating a chic juxtaposition to the black features. Additionally, the white furniture and light wood   tables adorned with green plants suggest the establishment has achieved Feng Shui of some proportion.

Owl and Lark’s menu is limited to coffee, tea, smoothie bowls, smoothies, juices and pastries, however the breadth of options in each of these categories is impressive. To commence our dining experience we ordered a cappuccino ($3.50) and a latte ($3.50). Both coffee drinks were adorned with clean froth art and emitted heavenly aromas. They were served in stout, white mugs which were simple yet exquisite when filled with Owl and Lark’s exceedingly fresh coffee.

Unlike other cafes, Owl and Lark offers its patrons a variety of gluten free bakery options. We decided to try the lemon bar ($2.50) and the caramel doughnut ($2). What the lemon bar lacked in tartness and lemon flavor was made up by the soft, delicious crust that melted in my mouth. The caramel doughnut, however, was incredible. It offered a dense dough that, combined with the caramel glaze, induced both salivation and pure bliss.

Considering the majority of Owl and Lark’s menu is catered to health conscious consumers, we decided we had to try the Green Detox juice consisting of cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, apple, lemon, ginger and parsley ($7.95). Even with just one sip you could taste the health. Rather than tasting the natural sweetness of lemon, I was overwhelmed by a bitter mixture of greens and ginger that was neither pleasant nor expected.

In contrast to the Green Detox juice, the Pitaya smoothie ($7.95) was sweet and delectable. It consists of a combination of pineapple, mango, banana, pitaya and almond milk, and the pitaya contributed to the smoothie’s electrifyingly pink countenance that is unlike any fruit smoothie I have ever seen.

Finally, we tasted three of the four 16 ounce smoothie bowls ($7.95) on Owl and Lark’s menu. The Aronia Melon bowl was a rich purple color and was comprised of banana, aronia berry, watermelon and almond milk and was topped with banana, granola, chia seeds and agave nectar. This bowl tasted fresh, sweet and summary, and it had a thick consistency that allowed for easy consumption with a spoon.

Unfortunately, the two other bowls that we tried were thin, making them difficult and messy to consume. The Peanut Butter bowl includes maca, peanut butter, vanilla, almond milk and banana and is topped with granola, banana, almonds and agave nectar. I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth flavor resulting from the combination of peanut butter and vanilla, but I would have preferred a stronger peanut butter flavor considering it was advertised as a peanut butter bowl. Our final bowl, the Nutty Banana + Mango bowl, was made of banana, mango, almond butter and almond milk and was topped with coconut flakes, banana, slivered almonds and agave nectar. The smoothie base alone seemed to lack flavor, but when it was combined with the fresh banana slices it was quite enjoyable.

Bottom Line: Owl and Lark Juice and Coffee bar is quite pricy, especially for students; however, if you are looking for a trendy establishment conducive to studying or conversing, Owl and Lark’s beautiful interior, excellent coffee and fresh flavors create the perfect atmosphere for you.